Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2025

letting go

Several sequential soft plops made me lift my eyes from the computer screen I had been glued to in order to finish a suggestion for a professional development course for a fall semester. 

Fifteen week-old dried yellow tulips in a vase on a coffee table had started letting go of their petals. 

Outside, a sunny but cold day made sure we knew it was still officially winter and give a promise that spring would arrive in near weeks. 

Inside I was in PJs because I had started writing the proposal first thing in the morning with fresh head to get it done before breakfast and then write my slice and post it early.

The petals were like a sign for me to let go of that hope. The proposal writing was more time-consuming than I had anticipated. I felt as a bit of annoyance started to stir in me for getting the request from the university so late close to the deadline, some annoyance with myself that I hadn't done anything yesterday morning. I needed to let go of this annoyance. It wasn't helpful. 

I have had to let go of several things during this Slice of Life writing challenge this month. 

  • Letting go of the need to create highly engaging, deeply thoughtful, whimsical or lyrical peices
  • Letting go of the desire to write and post first thing in the morning
  • Letting go of the guilt that I don't comment as much as other kind participants do
  • Letting go of the embarrassment of making spelling mistakes
I have shown up. I have written and published when I can. I have written short and quick slices of anything that wants to be written at that time. I have commented as much as I can. I forgive my mistakes. 




7 comments:

  1. I find "letting go" the supreme curriculum. Thanks for this: "I felt as a bit of annoyance started to stir in me for getting the request from the university so late close to the deadline, some annoyance with myself that I hadn't done anything yesterday morning. I needed to let go of this annoyance. It wasn't helpful." THIS helps me on this Sunday morning. I also like that you share what you're learning as this writing challenge unfolds. Good reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here it is, afternoon already and I still haven't written my slice. I will, eventually. Until then, as Elsa sang, "Let It Gio." arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have shown up. I have written and published when I can." Exactly! Terje, you are one of the most consistent contributors to this project ever! Yes, letting go takes practice. And what is this month long challenge but a playground of practice? Also in letting go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You speak great truths here, Terje, and I am grateful for them. It's so hard to let go of our "ideals" sometimes, when it comes to things like the SOLSC. I cannot comment as much as I would like either - that's one of the things, more than the actual writing, which almost sways me not to take part. We do what we can, yes. And here we are, midway through. Doesn't even seem possible! And I must tell you that while I was reading of your tulip petals falling, the red poinsettia here on my table drops another leaf. We are all connected more than we know. The discovery is one of the greatest gifts of this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the comparison of the tulip letting go of petals and you letting go of little things in this challenge and in your professional life. Giving ourselves permission is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful reminder to let go and not stress about the small stuff! Showing up is what matters, and you have done just that.

    ReplyDelete