Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2025

Book spine poem

On this quiet Saturday morning, hubby in the countryside, the youngest still asleep, no crows making a ruckus, the sunshine is too bright outside to light a candle for the writing magic. As if I usually did, but I don't because I forget, even though I have tried a few times in a hope for a miraculous writing aura to appear. I'll keep trying. Later. Maybe next fall.

"Magic is something you make" is an inspirational quote that faces me from the living room shelf. I'd like to stay I have strategically placed it there but this would be a lie. I placed it there to think where to hang it, and I never hung it. The accidental spot is the just right spot to nudge me. 

Today it nudges me to leave my sofa and seek out books to make a book spine poem - a fascinating concept and writing form that I learned many years ago and create once a year in March.

The coaching and leadership books and the recent books in Estonian don't speak to me today, not poetically. I bow and leave them be. 

Two books step down from a shelf in the living room, both arrived as cheer-me-ups from a trip to a mall where I struggled with buying, and in truth eventually ending up not buying, a new pair of shoes. The other two books travel from the bedside table to the living room windowsill, depending where I decide to write. Both I ordered after attending a two-day workshop with my favourite writing teacher. From my bedside table I pick a book that I bought in Heathrow Airport to support a workshop idea that my friend and I are brewing. 

Arranging the books this way and that, I look for the order that sounds the best today: 


The science of happiness
the creative act
the art of noticing
your brain on ink
poetic medicine

11 comments:

  1. This spine poem really does work. I love that culminating line, poetic medicine. I also love the detail of how you bow to the books that are not speak into you today, but that you respect and value. And finally, if it is too bright for your candle, does that mean your days are finally lengthening as spring arrives?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those book titles. The Art of Noticing certainly sounds like a perfect book to read. I love how you set the scene at the beginning and your magic quote that you placed haphazardly. I was in Estonia in 2015, a stop on a cruise. It seemed like such an enchanting and magical place, at least what I saw of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book spine poetry is always one of my go-tos this month, too, but I have yet to use it. I love your voice and humor in the first part of this slice--from not lighting the candles to not hanging the sign! You have taken us through your process of creating this perfect writing poem! Poetic medicine indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was waiting for this post since I knew from past March Challenges that you usually include one. That is how I learned of them and tried them myself. Your poem is inspiring. It expounds the happiness writing brings and the creativity involved. Definitely "Poetic medicine". arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you were inspired to create a book spine poem today. Your choices work so well together. I love the past line the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fantastic spine poem. I also have The Creative Act, but I'll have to check out the other ones in your spine poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love book spine poetry. Great titles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terje, that poetic medicine was a great ending. The happiness, creativity and noticing are all part of that poetry, I believe firmly. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful book spine poem! And now I'm off to see if my library has any of these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona - Pleasures from the Page

      Delete