Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2024

On the importance of light and colour in November

Two hours of Zoom meeting with my boss had numbed my bottom and I felt I was solidifying into a statue. Except for the mind. The meeting itself had been engaging focusing on how best help the schools we work with, what else teachers and school leaders need, how complicated change is and how much there is to consider in different contexts, and how important it is to ask the right questions. 

Right before saying goodbyes, my boss said, "Wow, you have sun out. All we have is rain today."

I saw my face on the screen glowing in the sunlight, looked out to see a streak of sunlight illuminating the sky between the clouds, and responded, "We need the sun in November. Otherwise the brownish-grey, wet and dark days depress even the most joyous person."

It's true. All the darkness brings gloom. Every moment when the sun is out and paints the sky with some colours is to be cherished and appreciated. It doesn't matter whether it's morning, day or evening, all moments count. I also recommend catching at least some of it on the photos, so you can look at the when the darkness returns and the dark thoughts with them. 


Here's a longer Substack post on the way of finding light and colour in the gloom November.  (Ignore the subscribe button, say no thanks, and proceed to read.)

Here's a collection of my photos from different parts of the day:






4 comments:

  1. Yes, you have been missed!
    Also, your post is timely for us all in November, that gray time before holiday lights begin to do the darkness and when we really can/have to appreciate the magnificent show Mother Nature provides in a world with fewer leaves and more sky. While there has been no rain in months around here, we have many days of gray skies filled with smoky residue and many days of cloudy coverings. SO, on those magnificent days, it is important to notice and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! So many times when the dark & gloom feel like they are smothering me, I use my pictures to help me “feel the sun on my face”. I also have a tendency to sit in a chair by a window when it is sunny but too cold to sit outside. We had pretty sunsets here in the last few days, and snuck in a sunny chilly walk yesterday. Right now it feels like 20 degrees outside, and it is snowing. Sideways. Your pictures help me breathe better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That second photo is glorious. We have many gray days here, too, but we have huge windows to invite light in. Lord knows we need light in all its myriad forms. I appreciate the nudge to look for light and not get trapped staring only in dark corners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! And thanks for bringing the light, and the colors. We have a common mood/theme today, you and I. November has been a struggle. I am giving thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete