Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2024

a sad slice

You make plans and then ...

We had planned a birthday party for one of the young persons in the family. We had postponed the party once already, and postponed it again.

My aunt, whose health had had ups and downs during the last year, whom I visited in July, when she was feeling better, getting better and we agreed to another visit in August, she got worse, was taken to a hospital, a place she said she never wanted to return, and I believe she gave up and died. 

Instead of a birthday party we had a funeral to attend. Being eighty-eight and sick, the death is a relief, a better alternative than being bed-ridden and helpless. My aunt was "an adequate elderly", a phrase she read in one of the hospital documents, all the way to the end. 

She was a single woman, never married, never had kids, the youngest of her family, two older sisters gone already, big brothers grieving her loss. My nephew and his daughter living closer to her took as much care of her as possible in the end. She was a proud and independent woman, managing everything, and hated being helpless and dependent. 

She and I had phone calls and occasional visits. I always left her place with a book recommendations and a bag of dried apple slices. She was the only person who still mailed birthday cards. 

My grief is locked tight inside me. I haven't been able to cry. 

The day before her funeral, I went to a poetry festival, a small event in a small seaside village. I was sure that at some point the tears would come. Instead I was so immersed in the readings that I didn't think of the death and the funeral. At some point I caught myself laughing. Strangely it felt right. 

The death of my aunt was a reminder to live the life to the fullest, do what matters and be with people that matter, make the choices that bring joy and appreciate each day as a gift. 



10 comments:

  1. Terje, this is a lovely reflection on your aunt, her life, your family. Losses coinciding with celebrations - I know the pain. My father died three days before his retirement and the party planned for him. Your ending line says it all - "live the life to the fullest, do what matters and be with people that matter, make the choices that bring joy and appreciate each day as a gift." I also have an aunt who still mails birthday cards...and I am sure she would wish me laughter over tears. I expect your aunt would, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your aunt sounds like a lovely person. This slice is a beautiful tribute and an honor to read. Favorite line: She was the only person who still mailed birthday cards. Because she is just like my 89-year old mother. Thanks for sharing your reflection of a love-filled life here with us. Keep the laughter going for your aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to your aunt. Your family stories always touch me as I live so far away from most of my family. Sending you an extra hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing about your aunt. I have lost too many family members in the last few years. I was just saying to my husband that I need to take a three hour drive to visit three of my remaining aunts & uncles. Your post reminds me not to wait too long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. Your aunt sounds like someone who always thought of others and little things for them that brightened their day. My thoughts and prayers are with you ad your family. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post of you aunt. So sorry for the loss but the memories will remain. This was me last summer when we lost a favorite aunt who was 101. So hard but feel blessed to have had the time and relationship with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely tribute to your aunt, Terje. I'm so sorry for your loss, and appreciate your sharing her with all of us. I hope that writing and sharing brings some easing of grief. Following the advice you share in your final lines feels like the very best way to honor her life and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m very sorry for your loss. Your telling of these unfolding events is moving. I get a sense of your aunt, and you, and the fact that you’re language lovers—books, and hand written cards, and poems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terje, I am sorry for your loss. It must be difficult to switch from a birthday celebration to a funeral. Your ending thought reminds me that life is uncertain and fragile so we must take advantage of what life has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terje, I'm sorry that the birthday celebration never happened, so your elderly aunt couldn't participate. The last paragraph is a beautiful reminder to us, as well. Something your aunt would be happy that you've learned, I'm sure. I love that she always had book recommendations, apple slices, and mailed birthday cards. There is a lot to be learned about someone with these sweet details.

    ReplyDelete