Eight weeks ago, at the start of a very busy work-study period, I signed up for a writing course. As nuts as it sounds, it was a very sane decision.
Before I signed up for the writing course I had several months earlier signed up for a women's writing camp. Well, how nuts is it to go to a three day writing camp during the final week of a n online writing course? Totally doable.
Last Tuesday, after publishing my SOL, I packed my bags and went off to a seaside guest house to live and write together with eleven other women.
It was just as heavenly as you can imagine. I got a private room. Gorgeous weather. Warm swimming water in the sea. Meals served. One evening with a dance journey. And writing, writing, writing. I received a brand new journal from the writer leading the camp.
On Wednesday, sitting in the circle, spilling words on the journal page, I suddenly paused. I had already filled several pages in the new journal, and many more in the old one. I had written for my blog on Tuesday, scheduled posts on LinkedIn, and at the start of the writing course had created a Substack account. A lot of writing. For a brief moment I was worried that a writing overdose was a possibility. Nah. Couldn't be. Cheers to more words!
*****
Here's the link to my Substack post that merged prompts from the camp and the course. You can read if you wish and have time. Not to worry about the subscribe buttons in the middle fo the text.

When I saw the title of your post, I wondered what the answer would be. I was happy to see answer by the end. The retreat sounds glorious! Good for you signing up and going for it!
ReplyDeleteI think there is only too much writing when either it feels like you need to stop, or your hands hurt. : ) I'm impressed by your writing commitments!
ReplyDeleteI have convinced myself several times that I am old and therefore have nothing more to say. Then, shortly afterwards, something happens that I feel compelled to share. Even if no one reads my words, those thoughts become part of a saved (possibly shared) memory. On other days, I feel a wisdom that comes from many experiences and time to reflect! Your writing group sounds magical and empowering. I wish I was closer!
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous setting! Really does sound lovely.
ReplyDeleteI think we all need beautiful, healing words right now. Isn’t deciding what’s too much writing a very person decision? I can only handle one blog right now because I’m writing so much poetry. But I do need and value the cathartic words of others.
ReplyDeleteI think a change of scene, a change of purpose, and a change of writing companions all lead to a words flowing and stories to be shared. It sounds like you have found many ways to keep your writing fresh to keep the words coming. I applaud you. arjeha
ReplyDelete