Ignoring the snow I had seen when I woke up this morning, no point in getting upset because it changes nothing, knowing that the snow will eventually melt, I settle myself comfortably on my living room sofa.
My cup of green tea is on the white round coffee table, my journal is open on my lap and I am ready to open the second lesson of Beth Kempton's "Spring Light" course on my phone.
The lesson doesn't open. This disappoints me more than the whiteness that has hidden all the traces of spring. This messes up my so well planned day. The anticipation of writing before work had been sweet.
I can't just put the journal away. I consider what other options I have. Just write? Read some poems from the book on my windowsill and then write? Listen to yesterday's lesson again? I don't know why, but I press on the third lesson and to my surprise it opens. All is good again in my world.
I listen to the poems she shares in the "spark" at the start of the lesson. I love the music she plays, her voice, the choice of poems. I listen twice. I read the transcript. Nothing sparks at first. No great inspiration.
I know how important it is to let the words come. No matter what. No matter how silly it may sound. And I write.
the knee ache from jive
the ordinary day
I am the morning silence
the raspberry seeds between teeth
the small treasures
...............................................................
I listened to the lesson, wrote three more pages, and then discovered that the second lesson was available. I chose to keep it for tomorrow.
Ignoring the snow, here's to spring!

I like your poem because it reminds me that everything we do, everything we feel, everything we eat is a part of who we are. Bob
ReplyDeleteI so enjoyed reading your post. You definitely reveal a slice of life and how you react to the disappointments and delights. Your poem had me laughing about the raspberry seeds in your teeth. Fantastic metaphors, and yes, here is to spring! Fortunately, I do not have to deal with snow. Sorry about that!
ReplyDeleteI also loved your line ‘the raspberry seeds between teeth’- all the small treasures, indeed! I just came home from a farm store with raspberry jam and have been eating it on saltine crackers. that truly is a rare privilege, and your poem made me realize that!
ReplyDeleteAs I stare at the journal I have ignored today, and the three books I need to enter there with a brief reflection (so I don’t forget everything about them), I think about your words, “I can’t just put the journal away.” Well, I could, but you’ve made me realize that if I start writing, something will come.We’re all those moments, just as your poem says, even the resistant ones.
ReplyDeleteTerje, I feel comfortable reading your poem. I snuggled in my hoodie to feel the warmth of your lines, the flow of your poem, and the absolute glory of your photo. If you have a few words to add to your image would you be interested in sharing it on my padlet and later gallery, Poetry Parade? If you just want to send me the photo I would love that or if there are others, please send them. I think your artistic eye always makes the gallery pop,
ReplyDelete