Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

not the usual challenge

I don't like shopping for shoes and clothes. This is an understatement. I dread and avoid shopping clothes and shoes, all the way to the point that there is no other option. I must do it because my last pair of jeans  has a tear beyond repair, I have only two pairs of socks left and the boots have the heel coming loose. 

Today I gathered my courage and my wallet and headed to the mall.

I had mapped my route and hoped for the best.

One, two, three go!

First stop.   I get two different sizes of jeans of the same type I bought last time (it is likely I have grown a bit wider), try them on in the changing room, take the pair that fits better, go to the cashier, pay. Done! Less than fifteen minutes. Thank you!

Next stop. "Any socks with foxes?" I ask. The shopkeeper shows me. I take these and one pair with giraffes that I have had before. I take a moment to think what else could I take. A pair with cats? Yes. Pay. Done! Have a good day!

The last stretch is the worst. There are too many shoe shops in the mall. There are too many shoes and boots. And none of them look like the ones I have now. First shop. Nothing. Second shop. Nothing. Third shop. Maybe? They don't have my size. Fourth shop. I try one boot on. I request the other. I walk around. They feel ok. They look ok. Ok is good. Pay. Bye!

Challenge completed!

I deserve a prize. A chocolate? A pice of cake? A book? 

The bookshop is the closest. 

Too many books to look at. Can't do it today, even though book shopping is usually my happiness source. 

I am ready to go home. I bought a box of strawberries. 




6 comments:

  1. I connected with this slice so well as I also hate to shop! The fact that you couldn't treat yourself to a bookstore purchase shows how exhausting you find shoping! Enjoy your new purchases, especially the socks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shop the same way. I know what I want. I find it. I buy it. Kathy, on the other hand... arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pacing of this slice. I felt your discomfort and the desire to run from overwhelming decisions. I dislike shopping too and socks with foxes…my next purchase! But it will be online for me;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could feel your dread and your courage in this slice. I am not a shopper either. Books, cake, strawberries! All three would have been great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the pacing speeds us along with you as you try to fit a year’s worth of shopping into one quick errand. I appreciate how you just want to buy more of what you already had. I laughed at the subtle parenthetical ‘It is possible I have grown a bit wider.’

    ReplyDelete
  6. ME TOO. I've never been able to verbalize my extreme dread regarding shopping - any and all kinds of shopping! You hit the nail on the head for me. Your mapped out adventure sounds successful, yay!

    ReplyDelete