Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

chocolate love is no small thing

Arriving in the train station at 11:34 I had plenty of time to reach the lunch date destination. I also had two ways to go: between galleries and cafes or through a parking lot. I took the second option, because when the parking lot ended, I reached a lovely small chocolatier. It's a treat just to be there, to see the chocolate maker doing her art. Since I don't go there often, I collected samples of every bean-to-bar chocolate they had on the shelves.  

I used to be a person who ate chocolate like a piece of bread, with big bites and chewing healthily. My favourite was Fazer's milk chocolate with whole nuts and I easily ate the whole 200g bar. Now I savour the thin dark chocolate pieces letting them melt on my tongue. The bean-to-bar handmade dark chocolates are special treats, investment in life sweetening moments. 

I piled my bars on the counter, paid for them, and as a thank you the owner gave me a small baked apple calvados bon-bon. This is what happiness tastes like.




7 comments:

  1. Chocolate is definitely a comfort food. arjeha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Googling: "apple calvados bon-bon." Ha! Those bars of chocolate have beautiful wrappings. Thank you for this sweet slice. It made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am heading for some chocolate consolation right after I finish this comment. Your words, " Now I savour the thin dark chocolate pieces letting them melt on my tongue," compel me.Savoring sounds like the perfect antidote today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that packaging on the chocolate is gorgeous. I want to learn to eat chocolate like you have learned to savor it. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, such a sweet slice! I've yet to find a favorite chocolate place in my new hometown. And my favorite chocolate, Theo's Chocolate, is hard to find. Since I finished the last of the three bars I found, it's time to search for it again. One square a day is something to savor! Your bars are gorgeous! Enjoy every bite. I'm a dark chocolate fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had some bean-to-bar chocolate this summer in Ecuador and - oh! - how delicious! Even the children understood the value of savouring something as wonderful as this. I'm glad to know you have your own special chocolatier - who will give you a little sample as you head on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there any mood that chocolate cannot smooth over? I too, gave up big bites and love savoring small pieces on my tongue as the chocolate slowly melts.

    ReplyDelete