Pages

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

the end

I packed my shoes and a tea cup,

gave the key card to the school secretary,

closed the door behind me.

The end.

It was this simple yesterday. On Friday we had a whole school leaving ceremony where I got on the stage and received a bouquet of flowers and a gift. A party followed with lots of food, laughter and hugs. The day before I had deep cleaned the classroom - giving away things, throwing away things, recycling, taking some things with me. I am thankful that I had a chance to properly finish with my class and my team, to say thank-yous and good-byes. A proper closure. I depart with gratitude. I think it is a good timing that summer holiday starts now, so the leaving felt almost normal, like every summer. The understanding of the change has not arrived yet. 

Here's to the summer and new beginnings! (the pic is from a month ago)

12 comments:

  1. I have always believed that endings make for new beginnings. I am sure leaving is difficult but a new grand adventure awaits you. And I am sure you will be fabulous in your new position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Although bittersweet, congratulations as you close this chapter and start your new one! Happy summer for now 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25 years is a long time! Congratulations on a stellar run. You are right about the reality and timing of departure. It sets in w/ the start of the next school year. I know you have a new adventure coming. Each fall I try to get away so I’m not thinking about the start of school. I’m glad I’m retired but still miss those new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying "Good-bye" is hard and sad. Starting something new is exciting. Great things await you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoes, teacup (of course!), key card… bouquet, gift…Your piece keeps it short, sweet, and simple. Because of course it is impossible to share what 25 years there has meant. My take-away from your piece is the gratitude you feel, the clean ending, and how this really isnt making you face the reality of the new beginning yet! Wishing you all the best, Terje. I trust you will keep posting…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you open this piece with such spare text--just enough and not nearly enough for such a milestone moment. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I retired from teaching two years ago. The staff surprised me with a similar celebration. I do miss my friends from school who I see much less often, but there are quite a few things I don't miss (lunch duty!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautifully crafted piece. You show so much gratitude and respect in the listing of the tasks. Congrats on 25 years. Your photo shows the excitement of your next chapter. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last comment at 11:41 was Sally Donnelly...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A proper closure… so you can enjoy summer and then open the door to a new challenge. Best wishes.
    Diane Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great endings do make WONERFUL new beginnings. Best wishes for new adventures and celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terje, congratulations on 25 years of doing what you have loved. You've made a difference in the lives of students - and left an indelible mark on the world! I love the open doors behind you in the picture. And the flags overhead. And your stance, ready and happy. The world is at your feet, and new doors open all around you. Your passport to your new chapter awaits!

    ReplyDelete