Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

How to write a slice?

Writing starts with an intent or a wish or desire or a thought or an itch.  The Tuesday SOL itch is strong

Opening a journal or a laptop follows. Easy. Laptop is open.

Perhaps the sorting and choosing of an idea should have happened prior to opening the laptop. The slices are tangled in my head. Too much to choose from. 

Let's play with the possibilities. Put a laptop aside. Maybe make a cup of tea, or not, because the weather is too hot. While I consider the options of drinks, the ideas keep hopping around, pushing each other aside, puffing up their appearances, pitching for their case. 

Addressing issues in my head, I wander around the apartment. 

A moment of attention loss and I find myself with a sponge in the hand, cleaning kitchen cupboard's doors. I must have done the swiping for a while because the doors look pretty good to me. A few more smudges to banish and I am satisfied with the result. The doors are clean and I know what to write about.

Write what just happened. 

Add an illustrative photo.

Done for today. Yay!






10 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of your piece and honest way you capture how and what we come to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha- this is great. You sliced AND you cleaned your kitchen. A successful day! I'm glad you're here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you found your slice for today (and got something else accomplished as well).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part fo this poem that I love in its entirety is: "...the ideas keep hopping around, pushing each other aside, puffing up their appearances, pitching for their case." Personification—well done—makes a poem pop! It certainly works here. (Feather on the sand is the right (light) touch, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the simple description that evolved into a story. Great photo, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You captured the process of writing a slice so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun slice - you've really captured the process of writing. My favourite line? "I must have done the swiping for a while because the doors look pretty good to me." Ha! I've been there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terje, your words move slowly from your words and photos to my heart. A small poem evolves for you and me.

    a feather light to touch
    shares space with summer sand
    my time to just be

    Good night, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to have this glimpse into your process and product of slicing on this day. You were productive and your words helped me to picture it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The itch to write..." You've captured the essence of summer break writing. The less structured days make it hard to sit down to write a piece even though there are many ideas floating around. The photo is the icing on the cake on this one.

    ReplyDelete