Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

you can do it

I looked at my white ice-skates and wondered whether my body still remembered how to ice-skate. Last time I put the skates on was two years ago. 

I took off my one boot, pulled on a woollen sock and pushed my foot into the ice-skate, and tried my best to tie the skate. It wasn't as tight and pretty as in childhood, but tight enough, and pretty wasn't the aim anyway. I did the same with the other skate. I kept sitting.

I looked as the students in their rented orange skates went on ice, some boldly sprinting off, some slow and steady, and some holding on to a supportive frame. 

"You can do it!" I cheered myself under my breath, stood up, walked to the rink, stepped in and then slowly started skating. My body remembered! Ice-skating made me feel like a child. 

The only other teacher on the ice was my dear friend and colleague. Together we are 101 years old, on skates merely 11. 



6 comments:

  1. What a beautifully succinct (yet packed) slice! I love the last line of your combined age, "on skates merely 11." Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like riding a bike. The body remembers how and off you go. Sounds like you and your friend had lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love that you ventured out and got to remember what you thought maybe your body had forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember reading the post from two years ago. Oh...merely 11!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way when I get on roller skates...now ice skates, that's a brave decision! I've never been able to balance well on them. It looks like you had a really fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice skating is the best. I still have my white skates that I got 25 years ago! I hope you enjoy many more years of skating!

    ReplyDelete