Driving to school in the morning I wished I had been on a passenger seat and could have watched out of the side window as long as possible. The sun rising between the trees on the far end of a field cast beautiful streams of light across the road. The still hibernating bare trees and dried grass seemed less sad.
Light is precious in Estonia. Most of the months driving to school and back happens in the dark. Even when the sun is up, the clouds often darken the days. So any sunny day in winter or early spring is greeted with joy. It doesn't even have to be fully blue sky, even a glimpse of sunshine can lift the spirits.

Your description is vivid “hibernating bare trees” and personification “dried grass seemed less sad” sets the mood. Thank you for sharing about Estonia. Light should not be taken for granted.
ReplyDeleteOne of the disadvantages of driving is that you can't really see and enjoy what passengers can. Kathy is always commenting on things that she sees that I can't because I am driving.
ReplyDeleteLight has an effect that I can't explain. Even in writing when a thought about light is included like this, "The sun rising between the trees on the far end of a field cast beautiful streams of light across the road." the imagery is just so beautiful. Thank you
ReplyDeleteTerje, I grew up in Central New York State and it was common to have dark days, a long winter season with lots of snow. I understand how important light is and how exciting it is to see sunshine.I hope you can enjoy the light soon when spring softly walks into your life.
ReplyDeleteI think I'd find it difficult to live in a dark place. I'm glad you are focusing on the glimpses of light you have, rather than the lack thereof!
ReplyDelete