Outside duty on a beautiful sunny day is a pleasure. Stepping outside yesterday, I was greeted with a gorgeous blue sky and sunshine. And even though I am ready for the spring I had to admit that yesterday I preferred the white glistening snow over the spring mud that would arrive when the snow melts.
I walked around the corner of the school building to my supervising spot next to the swings. From far I could see how third grade boys started running from the building and in about ten steps threw themselves onto their stomachs to slide down a little slope near a fence. They held their heads up, spread their arms, arched their backs, lifted their legs a bit, and down they went like jolly penguins, squealing with delight.
As soon as they were down, they quickly got up to do the same thing again and again.
A fourth grade girl came and stood watching.
"How do you do it?" she asked the boys.
The boys explained, one voice over another, what their most successful technique was.
The girl ran but before the slope slowed down and chose to go down on her knees instead.
"Don't be afraid to fall," one of the boys encouraged her to try again.
She did. The fun lasted for the whole twenty minutes of the break.
I looked at the kids and thought that I could use their attitude of not being afraid to fall to plunge into some adventures of life.

That is great advice. I like how your slice encompassed that recess time, but also helped us understand your feelings towards the weather. We are all anxious for spring - but not for mud!
ReplyDeleteThe daring and fearlessness of the young. Sounds like something I would have tried when I was a kid.
ReplyDeleteWonderful moment, wonderful description, wonderful metaphor! And my favorite phrase- like jolly penguins! It makes me happy just picturing your scene.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your description of the boys as penguins, which was evident from your choice of words. What a fun observation to make and great advice. Don't be afraid to fall into some adventures.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great description of the clear snowy day and the children at play. Such a good parallel to draw from life for us.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this wonderful slice today. It made me smile. Now I am thinking of the adventure I need to go after and not be afraid to fall!
ReplyDelete