Pages

Monday, March 13, 2023

cry if you need to

I sat in the darkness of a theatre. The performance was almost over. It was a modern version of a play* that was first performed in 1911. The text was word to word original. The set of the new production was minimal with a few benches and three movable video screens. Even though the original story was about an adopted daughter growing up and then being blamed as a werewolf, thus becoming an outcast and being abandoned by her love, the words spoken were more than accurate for the current world. Since the play was one familiar to me, all Estonians had to read it at school and almost everyone had seen the movie based on it, I knew that the play would end soon. And then it happened. Seeing how on a screen the family gathers for a photo and the outcast joins them there but on the stage she sits all alone, I felt how my heart squeezed tight and the tears started running down my cheeks. I wiped them off before the lights were turned on but the tightness in the heart lingered longer. 

 

I sat in the passenger seat in a car. I opened a book on page fifty. I had started the book a week ago but hadn’t had time to read it daily, so I had to flip back to refresh my memory. It was a book by a French author** translated into Estonian. The main character was a female guardian of a cemetery. I wasn’t completely sure what I thought of the book. A friend had recommended it to me. She had loved it. Between the everyday life scenes of the main character, she talks about the people who have found their final resting place under her care. I reached a chapter that featured an adult granddaughter’s letter she had asked the cemetery guardian to read out during her grandmother’s funeral that she wasn’t able to attend. It was a beautiful portrait composed of little moments, relationships and habits. And then it happened. I read how the young woman described her last encounter with her grandmother, I felt how my heart squeezed tight and the tears started running down my cheeks. I wiped them off before I turned the new page but the tightness in the heart lingered longer.

 

The waves of sadness when most of the time my life is a happy one, were a sign of something. I am not fully sure of what – empathy for the characters, the feeling that time is passing, the death of an older cousin some weeks ago, the amounting stress before the school’s week-long evaluation visit of thirteen visitors from three different agencies, the added responsibilities due to the head’s absence, some professional relationships gone askew because of someone else’s meddling and manipulations, the war in Ukraine nowhere close to ending, not enough sleep. I wish I had let myself explore my sadness. I wish I had let myself cry. You should cry if you need to. 

 

*August Kitzberg “Libahunt.”

**Valerie Perring “Fresh water for the flowers.”




9 comments:

  1. This is beautifully written, Terje, and captures that well of sadness that can grow and linger beneath our daily lives. I don't know what else to say except that you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, vulnerable, and heartbreaking slice today. I'm so sorry you have so much going on. I wish I could give you a big hug! I agree with your advice, "You should cry if you need to." Sometimes holding it in is so much worse. I do hope things get better. Good luck with your synchronized visit...ours is in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will caution my students when I see them checking out "heart-heavy" books--not to dissuade them from reading the stories, just to prepare them for the emotions the words may invoke. With everything going on in your life, the play and book may just have been the catharsis your spirit needs. I agree--we should all feel the space and permission to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good cry is cleansing. Crying during a movie, play, or while reading a book is a testament to the author and the words s/he chose to make us feel something. Crying also acts as a stress releaser for us when things just seem to be too much to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are correct in your reflection that these moments of sadness are "a sign of something." Sometimes we need something to trigger the tears to let us work through the emotions we've bottled up and let them go. I know it helps me reset. I hope you will have the time to explore your sadness the next time it presents itself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, Fresh Water for Flowers can make a person cry even in their happiest time in life-- LOVED that book-- and you have a LOT going on, so yes, you are welcome to a good cry. So much emotion in this post, and such a powerful way to connect events and art together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, Terje, there are times I just hold back the tears. My children think I cried them all already and that there are none left, but that is not true. This is a beautiful post, filled with divine wisdom and one with a powerful message to release what needs release. Tears. Sadness. And to appreciate our happy times, because not all have happiness as we do sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is healthy to cry - sometimes we just need to release emotion. Thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  9. The refrain "the tightness in my chest lingered longer" is beautiful, and so powerful combined with your ending.

    ReplyDelete