While taking off my shoes in the hallway I noticed a flowery gift bag on the coffee table in the living room. I knew it was from my daughters. Unzipping my coat but not taking it off yet, I was curious to see what the bag would hold, and walked to the living room. I was rather certain I would get some tea from my favourite tea shop. I did. Honeybush Topkapi, Marrakesh Mint, and Cactus-Fig tea are three new flavours to taste.
Under the tea packages was a wrapped box. Unwrapping it I found a white box with a small tea pot label. Did they gift me with a new tea pot? A strange little shiver ran through me. I broke my all time favourite little tea pot more than three years ago and have not found a replacement since. The red tea pot had been perfect - small and round like a little ball. I had loved it so much that after it broke, my husband glued the pieces together and now the pot sits on my bookshelf. Any time I saw other tea pots in the stores I commented: too big, not round enough, not the right colour, not to my liking.
I opened the white box with a fear of disappointment. Inside was a just right size and perfectly spherical white teapot with a drawing of lotus flowers. I smiled. About two weeks ago when we were buying a gift for my dad, I commented about the same tea pot - this is is pretty. Clearly my youngest had heard me.
I will never get the red tea pot back. It's in the past. I accept it. Now I have a new one and I know it will bring me joy.
Last year I struggled with turning 50. I had very difficult time accepting the change of the first digit. Turning 51 is so much easier. Starting the new year of my life with a new teapot I feel gratitude and a sense of calm.
Happy Birthday, Terje. The teapot is lovely. I don't remember your red one but I am sure this one will brighten your days and delight your taste buds. Accept what is - a great title!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Terje. How lovely that your daughter listen to what you were saying and remembered it as well. May you enjoy many delicious cups of tea made in your new special teapot.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! What a delightful Slice and a beautiful teapot.
ReplyDeleteYou write it so well, you have me mourning for your little red teapot! But I also love your new one, as well as the evidence that your family knows you well. And as well as the metaphor for acceptance of what is- both losses and new gifts- as we age.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! Pretty teapot! Enjoy it with those new flavors…
ReplyDeleteNew year, new teapot! Happiest of birthday wishes to you, Terje!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! What a beautiful gift and such a special arrival! I hope you enjoyed your special day! I also hope there was cake! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! And yes, what a beautiful replacement teapot. Love your attitude that moving forward and change is ok. :)
ReplyDeleteI like the juxtaposition of the broken teapot and the difficulty of accepting a big birthday...then receiving a lovely new pot and accepting your new age. It really is a matter of breaking open and acceptance, I think. Beautiful post!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! Can't believe it's already been another year...I remember your 50th! Your daughters found the perfect gift for you. I love how your husband lovingly glued your broken teapot together, even though it was unusable. That's very sweet of him. I hope you have a lovely day!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! When I saw it on FB, I thought this is an easier transition for Terje this year. And I think I was right. The teapot is absolutely perfect! The flowers are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteoops, Ramona here.
Delete