Holding tightly to my steering wheel, as if this grip would make any difference to the control of the situation, I drove through the darkness, with snow storming against window creating a Star Wars space flight similar view. I wish it had been a simulation of the flight. This would have been safe and fun. Driving in the darkness during the wee hours of the day and in the snow storm on snowy roads was scary. I had no choice though. The winter break was over and I was on my way to work.
What a contrast it was with the previous days at home with warmth, light, comfort, late starts, slow pace, and no stress. I didn't go anywhere besides the adventures between the pages of books, nor meet anyone, besides characters out of someone's imagination. Instead of a wheel I held a pencil and instead of counting kilometres driven I counted the pages written. I loved my staycation and I am thankful that I had so many unplanned days. After two busy days at school this is a lovely memory and something to dream about in the future.

I must admit that the driving conditions you describe make me glad I am retired and don't have to go out in weather like that unless I want to. I don't. I think that staycations can be so much more relaxing than an actual vacation. No planning. No extra laundry when it is over. Glad you enjoyed yours.
ReplyDeleteIn the early days of retirement, one of the great joys was looking out the window and watching snow fall while knowing I did not have to drive up the mountain to school. That changed in October as I began subbing; last week I drove to my old school in a mess of snow and slush. The road I traveled is new, and the old way is blocked off for interstate construction for the next two years. Still, I can see the mountains wearing their white snow robes, but on days w/ lots of snow, I miss the vision from the window. Yet I can't help but think about the beauty in your snowy drive and in those halcyon staycation days.
ReplyDeleteI love the unstructured days of a break. Driving in any kind of storm, especially snow, is unnerving. If you were in central Texas, school would've been cancelled, along with everything else. I like how you compare driving to writing, brining in the stark contrast between the two actions you experienced.
ReplyDeleteOh, we enjoyed a week of staying in before Christmas due to snow and ice. Our son-in-law picked us up one evening to drive around and see Christmas lights with them. He grew up in UT, so is not afraid of snowy roads. I am and stay put.
ReplyDeleteI love this description of your break - "...days at home with warmth, light, comfort, late starts, slow pace, and no stress." There's so much I love about that. Unplanned days are simply lovely.