Entering a grocery store to do our weekly shopping, before reaching the vegetables or diary products on our shopping list, we first had to go through a maze of high piles of boxes filled with various shapes and sizes of gingerbread cookies; shelves stocked with tinsel, ornaments, snow globes and candles; colourful collections of advent calendars; plastic reindeer and rabbits; and sparkly wrapping papers in buckets and holiday patterned gift bags hanging on hooks.
"This is too early, way too early," I expressed my opinion loudly to my family.
"Christmas things have been out in some places since October," my daughter informed me.
"Waaay tooo early," I stressed my opinion one more time.
"I kind of like it," said my daughter, "The lights and colours and merriment."
"I like these too, but only in December. If everything is out too early, I get tired of it and December is not so much fun anymore," I was kind of irritated by how commercial the family holiday has become. Seriously, the whole buy-buy-buy-more-more-more seems to distort the whole spirit of the holiday.
My opinion was clear and expressed and we moved on to buying zucchini, cauliflower and carrots, and all the other items for the next week's meal plan.
Later in the afternoon my youngest stood on the doorway of the living room and looked at me.
"Isn't it interesting that you are the most vocal against the holiday stuff in the store, yet right now you are eating gingerbread cookies and drink Christmas tea," she wondered.
Saying it out loud like this, oh well.
In my defence I would say that the gingerbread cookies were shaped like flowers and the tea was oven baked apple flavoured and this could be considered winter tea rather than Christmas.
The combination of the two was comforting.

Love this! I used to have trouble with friends who put up trees November 1st, but I've decided that each person can do what makes them happy. Maybe it's those folks rushing the commercial end of things though. I must admit to already eating my way through my first bag of gingermen and breaking out the Cinnamon Apple (winter) tea recently.
ReplyDeleteIt's fun when kids reach the age that they start pointing these things out, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI know, stores seem to rush the season and then it seems the day after Christmas holiday items are gone and Valentine and Easter decorations are on display. Nothing wrong with enjoying the flavors of the season whenever you are in the mood for them.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how descriptive your slice was. I enjoyed the bantering dialogue. I especially enjoyed your ending, trying to suggest what you were really eating! Keep enjoying all that this time of year brings!
ReplyDeleteThose cookies and tea are the sensations of celebration and the warmth which comes with the season - I love the description in this piece and your daughter's observations show a deep connection to those shared experiences. What a lovely read on a difficult day :)
ReplyDeleteHeeheehee - I love your defense & I completely believe you. I enjoyed how you led us up to that final moment of your daughter's observation; what a fun slice.
ReplyDelete