Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

the midnight writing

Whether it's the mind processing daily events, bladder filled with cups of tea, or the inevitable peculiarities of getting older, but it has become an annoying habit that I wake up in the middle of the night. Try as I may - keeping my eyes closed, breathing slowly, telling myself to fall back to sleep -  I fail to return to peaceful sleep. Sometimes the mind goes into problem-solving mode and sometimes brilliant creative ideas surface. In the case of the latter, I sometimes choose to exit the bed and bedroom and go to the living room to scribble down the ideas. 

I did exactly this last night.

Today after school I decided to use these midnight notes to write a LinkedIn post (my third post ever).

I looked at my notes and couldn't decipher the chicken scratch looking back at me.

"I can't read my midnight writing," I commented to my husband.

"Perhaps you should record your thoughts instead of writing," he suggested.

"Oh, no. What if the recording would be as incomprehensible as the writing. I would sound like a lunatic. Now I can at least blame the horrid handwriting and still believe that a gem is hidden in there" I shivered at the thought.

I continued being a detective (practice with reading student handwriting helps) and picked out what I could and filled in the blanks.  




4 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, that also happened to me once, except I wrote it down in the dark figuring I'd still be able to read it in the morning. Nope! So I quit writing night time inspirations. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh because I've done the same thing. Couldn't read what I wrote. Truth be told, sometimes I can't even read what I wrote when I am fully awake. I blame this on the shorthand I make up as I write feeling confident that I will remember what each symbol or shortcut means. Wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I type notes to myself in the middle of the night and they still come out incomprehensible! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with arjeha. I look at what I write in daytime or night and wonder. I would like to remember what I dream of but it quickly escapes my mind most of the time. Whether you remember your thoughts or not, your writing is beautifully formatted, Terje.

    ReplyDelete