10 days until my 50th birthday. I have already written 10 posts about turning 50 and how I manage the challenge of getting older. One thing that helps is to dream and picture myself much older than fifty. Last year about the same time I wrote thoughts about being old inspired by a photo exhibition. In my writing course I wrote what kind of stories my descendants would tell after five generations. This allowed to play with ideas of what else might be possible in the years to come, what else I might learn and accomplish. Then my teacher posted a writing invitation on her FB page and this was especially playful.
Here's the original poem: "Warning" by Jenny Joseph.
Here's my version inspired by it:
When I am an old woman, I shall eat a cake for breakfast
Whether I wake at four in the morning or at noon,
And feed the crumbs to the sparrows.
I shall paint my toenails glitter blue and fingernails pink,
And fetch a newspaper in a frilly nightgown
And wear a tiara when buying striped socks.
I shall volunteer to be an usherette in an opera theatre,
And buy a ticket on the first train leaving the station,
And send me postcards signed “Yours truly”.
I shall sit on a park bench for hours on Wednesdays
And people watch with binoculars
And wave to grumpy strangers.
I shall build a nest of books in my living room
And fly paper airplanes from the balcony
And win a cherry pit spitting contest.
I shall press my nose print on cafe windows
And leave poetry in the candy shops
And stick owl pictures on mailboxes.
But now I wake regularly at dawn to the sound of my alarm
And twist my hair into a bun, iron shirts and polish shoes
And go to work on time to complete my to-do lists.
I follow the expectations and rules and try to fit in
To avoid judgement and get along with people.
But sometimes I practice what to do when I am free
From duties and plans and pressure of time.
I sleep long in the mornings
And eat breakfast in PJs
And then stroll on the city streets, go to art galleries
And smile to the waitress who serves me puff pastry pies in a café.
Love the I-do-care attitude of the poem. At 70 I am not quite therr,yet. Maybe in 10 years. Practice makes perfect so continue practicing for when that time comes.
ReplyDeleteTerje, what a fantastic rendition! I love the image of building a nest of books and winning a cherry pit spitting contest. I found some things we have in common and I'd love to hang out with you-and we do-in this piece. I'm saving this post to get to your other posts on turning 50 (I'll be there this summer). Your sense of playfulness and doing your own thing shines here.
ReplyDeleteLove this!! I turned 50 this year - isn't so bad, once you get over the shock of the number!
ReplyDeleteYour version of the poem is great. I am imagining what you did to get here; maybe brainstorm
ReplyDeleteall the activities? This is one I can try too...
This poem is THE best. I love thinking about you leaving owl pictures on mailboxes! I feel like I learned so much about you just in this poem.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI dyed my hair super-purple when I turned fifty ("When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple"). My mother died at 51, and my early fifties were very introspective. I didn't think much about my future and legacy at that time; I really like all the imagining you outline in your post.
ReplyDeleteI love this poem! I'm down with the eating cake for breakfast and the nest of books in the living room. :)
ReplyDelete