Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

My March Manifesto

Announcing the arrival of spring, the sun, bright and warm, shines as if everything is as always. And in my living room it is - the same sofa, the same coffee table, the same glass tea cup filled with nettle-raspberry fusion, the same pair of reading glasses, the same laptop and the same blog as always. Yet, not so far, imaginably close, people fight for their country, flee their homes, say good-bye to the loved ones and are cut off from the ordinary life. Cut from life.

Carrying the images of the sad war scenes from the morning news in my head and delivering a grocery bag filled with shampoo bottles, toothpaste packs, bars of soap, toothbrushes, and baby wipes to school for Red Cross, the craziness of the violent destruction clashes with my mundane life, and the ordinary becomes precious. I am deeply grateful for waking up in my own bed, the morning shower, the water boiling in the kettle, the piece of bread and the slices of cucumber. 

I question my decision to join the writing challenge. Perhaps writing my slices is too trivial. No. From the past two years, when the pandemic threw us into unknown and uneasy, it was the writing that helped to stay in the present, not to drown in the worry, keep the sanity and build resilience. Writing is sense making. Maybe something I write will be exactly what someone needs to read and hear. I will write. 

Now a mild panic strikes. I am not prepared at all for the challenge. I quickly flip through Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way" and "The Right to Write", look at the tasks she provides, jot down some ideas in my journal, and then shake my head. The last minute writing doesn't prepare me for anything. I am like a child grabbing random things and stuffing them in a bag before a trip. Nevertheless the bizarre list calms me. I hope it will be like a band aid to cover the scratches when I fall and scrape my knees, or like a pack of nuts in chocolate that give me a sweet boost when I am low in energy, or like a little seaside pebble painted as a ladybug that carries memories and I can write more than once about. 

If I don't use any of the ideas from my list, this is ok too. 

For now, I will have a bold start and write My March Manifesto (it sounds so much grander than agreement, promise or affirmations, and I need grand today). 


My March Manifesto

I show up and write daily, whether it's one line or several paragraphs.

I approach the days with open eyes, mind and heart.

I trust that the words will come.

When I feel stuck, I write anyway.

I shush the critic and show self-compassion.

I let go of the self-imposed expectations and the need of approval. 

Only I can write the slices that I write.

I believe my words and stories matter.

I will create light, colour and kindness with my words.

I am who I am, beautiful in my imperfection.

I value process over the product and joy of writing over perfection.

My stories are part of a bigger story.

I celebrate my slices and the stories of my fellow slicers.

 

 #standwithUkraine #stopthewar

19 comments:

  1. "Now a mild panic strikes. I am not prepared at all for the challenge."
    Same. Every year, I think nearly the same thought.
    But, here I am, and I'll try to keep pace.
    Peace,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such joy at seeing your post this morning! And how I could relate to so much here. It does feel trivial and even pointless to me to be writing my little slices when all I can think about, all I can talk about, is Ukraine. But you are right: writing is sense making. It's grounding. I also feel unprepared for the challenge. I found your image of the child grabbing random things and stuffing them in the bag so apt. But here we are, together, once again, which I do find comforting. I've bookmarked your manifesto to return to when I need a little boost of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...she's back! I'm so glad you decided to join the challenge, dear friend. Your words do matter and writing about the ordinary sounds extraordinary when it comes from you. I love your manifesto! Very grand indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great manifesto! I love all your thoughts but especially "I am who I am beautiful in my imperfection". This really spoke to me... great start to your slicing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I clicked on your name just now, I thought how you are probably the person I "know" who lives closest in proximiy to Ukraine. I love how the lists you included allow me to feel how the everyday is still happening despite and I agree that through writing, we can try to make sense. Though my distance is far away (Arlington, VA, USA), I also am thinking about Ukraine in my slice today. Glad you are here all month. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Manifesto! Yes, sometimes it is the panic that gets me writing, and your words of assurance motivate me to continue also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are here again and your manifesto struck so many powerful chords. I appreciate the way you always keep things so real.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It hurts to think of the tragedy happening in Ukraine and Russia. So unnecessary.
    I am glad you are writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, welcome back. While I have been hesitant to join for different reasons, I have been thinking about you amidst the sad devastation not so far away. You, my far away friend, are one of the familiar voices among the new ones that I look forward to finding and reading during these uncertain days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing is definitely a way to voice our fears as well as a means to help us cope with what is going on in our lives as well as the world. The last two years proved this. The support found in this group helps us cope with the insanity of what is happening around us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe the right to write and speak about the ordinary is at the heart of what Ukraine is fighting for, and so your writing about these things honors them and freedom in all its manifestations. I’ve thought about you often since the war started given your geographic location and will continue keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your words hit me hard this morning. So much I could relate to. I am grateful for the mundane. The sameness. There is a great importance of writing about the sameness. Taking the time to notice and know that your words and stories are yours and only yours to tell, magnifies the importance of every life and the importance of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a sincere comfort to see that you are here, Terje. "the ordinary becomes precious" - it would be hard to find a more apt description of the state we, who are not immediately at risk may inhabit. Thank you for your manifesto. It is both moving and serves as a wonderful model. I especially appreciate "I am who I am, beautiful in my imperfection."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so glad to see you joined SOLC this year. Your first post is so powerful - a writing manifesto. My favorite lines include: "I approach the days with open eyes, mind and heart." and "When I feel stuck, I write anyway." Your words always matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true! "Grateful for the mundane..." I think we're not just grateful, we also see the fragile nature of the present. It can all come crumbling down in a moment. An acquaintance lost a son in the war today, and your post seems doubly relevant as we cannot even find the courage to call the family to offer any support.

    ReplyDelete
  16. More than any other year I have read many posts today written by return slicers who weren't sure about returning. I'm so excited about this. I'm excited to see how this month, even more so than any other March, will change us as writers, teachers and people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. >I believe my words and stories matter.<

    And this is where we start. Believing. Both in ourselves and the fact that our words and stories do matter. I'm so happy that you made the choice to join in again because your words carry a calm like twilight on a summer night. We need more of those words and feelings.

    I'm anxious to see your slices this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is such power in your words and reading them diminishes the guilt I feel for not experiencing the tragedy and horror so many are living through. "Writing is sense making." Yes, and I still trying to make sense of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am drinking your words too quickly, and then I pause and stumble at the frankness and beauty of what you are writing. This gives me pause. The power of a manifesto is marvelous. To write one for the month of March is lovely.

    It's the photo, though, that staggers me. Your perspective is powerful. The photo will live in my heart, connecting me to you and so happy you are writing...just for a month. ;)

    I want you to know I am desiring to collect a photo each day as I find new perspective forced on me by my broken ankle. And yet, I have not snapped the shutter. I am hesitant. I am critical. I am allowing my fear to stand in the way. I keep thinking of you, and I hear you whispering that my joy will not be stifled just because I'm learning to see through a camera lens.

    xo, ruth

    ReplyDelete