15 days until my 50th birthday. It is getting a bit easier with accepting it. Seeing my friends taking the change of decade with ease has softened my attitude. Several exercises at my writing course have shifted the focus from an ending to a new beginning. Reading and listening to words of people decades older than I has shone light to positivities of getting older. Having people say kind words to me has highlighted how I have so much in me that sure wasn't there when I was young and inexperienced. Most of all it has been the ability to focus on the now that has been helpful. It's March and the days are getting lighter and warmer, snowdrops are out, I have tulips on my windowsill. Finding the light and colour in my days - nature, people, experiences, keeping a gratitude journal, reminds me that the joy I experience comes from within and is not connected to my age.
My husband chose this as a favourite photo of me by Birgit Varblane from the natural woman photo shoot.
I like this photo your husband chose. As a friend on the other side of 50 by more than I choose to admit, you'll survive this milestone. I've loved reading your posts leading up to your big day. My husband "surprised" me with dinner at a favorite restaurant with many friends for my 50th. I discovered his surprise when I saw the charge on the computer. It's a birthday I cherish and will always remember. So I need to add a slice for it to my memories I'm writing this month.
ReplyDeleteHappy early birthday! It's a big milestone for sure. I felt apprehension at turning 40 last year, so I understand how you feel. I like how you've looked at the positives. What a lovely picture of you! :)
ReplyDeleteHappy early birthday! I like this photo, too! I was so anxious about turning 40, but I have enjoyed my 40s so much more than I thought. In five years, when I am 50, I hope that I can be pleasantly surprised by 50!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! I hope it is a wonderful one. I love the phrase you chose: "finding the light and color in my days." It's another phrase I want to post somewhere so I see it every day and remember.
ReplyDeleteYour husband chose a beautiful photo of you. I, too, love the phrase "finding the light and color in my days" and you do that so wonderfully with the words you write and the photos you take.
ReplyDeleteI'll be 50 in July. My mother insists that the 50s are the very best decade--we will feel more fully ourselves than ever. I also love the phrase "finding light and color"--and of course that commitment to focusing on the now. I have to constantly remind myself of the power of being present and recommit--but it is truly powerful when I do. Happy early birthday!
ReplyDelete"Finding the light and color in my days" is such a beautful line. You have such a way of not only finding that light and color, but sharing it with the world. And we are the ones who get to experience that joy along with you.
ReplyDelete