"I feel I am stuck as a writer," I summarised my first lesson at the writing course. I was dissatisfied with what I had produced. I had thought that if I joined the same course for a third time, I would be able to write bigger, bolder, and brighter than previously. I thought I had grown and evolved as a person and writer.
I believed my feeling about being stuck was adequate. From my perspective my responses to the writing prompts were predictable and safe. I seemed to write about the same things in the same style as previously. I listened to other participants and was surprised how they freely diverted off the tasks and how craftily they played with the words.
"You seem to be stuck on the idea that you are stuck. We'll work on that," my teacher smiled to me.
My teacher's comment makes me think that perhaps I had conjured my feeling based on faulty criteria. Comparing with others is a dangerous ground. It can paralyse, create the blank page fear, compel to quit before starting. It may make you blind to the gems of your own writing. It may stuck the playfulness and joy out of the process.
This is what I have to keep in mind as the Slice of Life Story Challenge starts next week. Though it is a challenge to write daily for a month, it is not a competition. I am not competing with others nor with myself. And maybe I am not stuck but rather have found myself and my voice. This is ok.
It is so much easier to stick with what we know and feel we do well. I think one of the nice things about the March challenge is that it gives us to opportunity to try new things. You are right. It is a challenge and not a competition. I sometimes need to remind myself of that as well.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very important reminder as we head into this annual crazy time of writing more than usual. I am entering, again, with the intent to just do my best. I will try to write every day. Some days will be clever and witty (I hope) but other days will be mundane and task oriented. My voice sometimes comes through and other times is a weak version of who I am. Thank youfor the reminder.
ReplyDeleteAs you well know, it's definitely not a competition. There are no judges, no medals, etc.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you'll be joining us again this year, Terje!
This was the perfect story for me to read today. Thank you for this reminder as we embark on SOLC. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish you the beat during the Slice of Life challenge this year, Terje. I will be jumping in only on Tuesdays. I think you've made some great points and while I know it (SOL) is not a competition either, I felt the need to step back this year for a variety of reasons but mostly because I haven't been satisfied with the response in the last two years (I've done it for five). I write daily anyway and will continue to do so. Writing daily during March is just what I do and not a challenge for me. I think we all have to do what's right for us as writers and that is what I think you've found, as well. Take care and I'll continue to "see" you on Tuesdays. Carol, from The Apples in My Orchard.
ReplyDeleteTerje, I've been in a non-writing rut, so I have so appreciated reading this post today. I'm looking forward to building up my stamina in March, trying to write every day. Thanks for writing today. My favorite phrase here is "write bigger, bolder, and brighter". Hooray for no competition!
ReplyDeleteOh yes! Thank you for putting this into words. These lines spoke directly to me: "perhaps I had conjured my feeling based on faulty criteria. Comparing with others is a dangerous ground." Yup! Here we go again!
ReplyDeleteThis piece really resonated with me. As I was thinking about joining the challenge this year, I thought about how I will no doubt circle the same topics I always circle and wondered why I couldn't write those "bigger, bolder, and brighter" pieces. I appreciate the call here to focus on playfulness and joy. I've also been thinking about what another slicer called "writing meditation" and how slicing for me could be meaningful and purposeful just as "writing meditation". Anyway, glad to be joining you again!
ReplyDelete