Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

the best excuse

I called my aunt. She is 84 years old and lives alone in a tiny town in the centre of Estonia. After talking about dried apples and meat pies, frost and wind, my need for solitude after work and her wish to see people after days by herself, news about older and younger relatives, the concert she listened to and the theatre I lately saw, the ever recurring dust balls and our ability to ignore them, our common love of walking and reading, we finished our conversation with sharing the books she had read lately and then she recommended me a book by an Estonian astronomer to contemplate about space capacity. I apologised for not having anything to recommend since may latest books have been work related or in English.

"Oh, don't worry. Any time I go to the Library there are so many new books that I want to read. Too many to carry. That is if I go to the Library. It's too far," my aunt said.

"The Library is pretty much across the street, isn't it?" I was puzzled.

"Haven't you heard of space expansion theory? The space expands rapidly and everything else expands with it. So the Library moves further and further away for me," she explained. 

And with this she wins the "Excuse of the year" award. 

I asked permission to use the same excuse if needed. Permission granted. 




4 comments:

  1. I love that excuse. I will have to file it away for future use. Wishing you and your family the Merriest of Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great excuse! More magical thinking. Happy and Merry holidays, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rundown of the conversation with your aunt and her delightful sense of humor. Enjoy every moment of break: read, relax, walk, and keep ignoring those dust bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Ramona, I did like the way your slice unfolded, Terje. Your Aunt had a wonderful excuse. Enjoy the holiday with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete