The rowan berries turning orange, the birch shedding its first yellow leaves, the darkening nights, they all speak of the end of the summer approaching. For several days the sun went pouting behind the clouds letting the torrent of rain reign the days. The toes accustomed to wiggling freely in flip flops and sandals were forced into socks. The swimsuits and beach towels sat sadly in the cupboard. It seems that after the most glorious summer the fall wants to arrive earlier than usual. Too early. Even when the sun finally returned the shift in weather was noticeable. "It feels like September on some days," people said.
Throughout my very last day in the countryside I kept repeating to myself, "Thanks to impermanence everything is possible. Let go of the attachment to the past. Don't rush to the future. Enjoy the moment." I thought so when I shivered before immersing myself in the cool and clear seawater, when I watched a butterfly sitting on a purple coneflower, when I ate a cucumber for a snack, when I picked a small mint for a cup of tea, when I watched mom watering tomatoes, when I listened to my little nephew telling about his latest adventures, when I followed my sister's directions to make a cottage cheese pie, when I sat and sweated in sauna, when I saw sheep gazing between junipers as we drove back home with my hubby.
I know there's no point in protesting against the changing seasons, fighting with the weather or demanding the sea water to warm up again. Instead I plop a red-cheeked cherry tomato into my mouth, open my journal and write a gratitude list. My summer has been generous. It offered me so much more than the sleep and reading time that I had wished for. The summer nurtured my soul and body.
Today, after I close my laptop, I'll walk in my home neighbourhood, savour sofa time with "Braiding Sweetgrass" by Robin Wall Kimmerer, and make dinner from a yellow zucchini I brought form the countryside.
Tomorrow I will go to school.


Happy transition. Our students started last week and I have to admit, after my quietest summer ever I still did not feel totally ready. I love all the specific images you collected here- savor the book (I loved it) and the sofa while you can!
ReplyDeleteAh me! We started on Friday. Kids come today for Open House. I'm already missing my summer. These photos are so beautiful and your summer gratitude list sounds sweet. You are blessed.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful piece, thanking your summer place for what it provides. And when I read to the end to realize it was your last evening before school starts again, i appreciated your calm. That is often an anxious, unsettled day for me. I love best the paragraph that begins, “I know there is no point in protesting…”
ReplyDeleteBeautiful reflection and beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSo much beauty and wisdom in this post! Your pictures are stunning and I hope you carry all your summer nourishment within you as you return to the school year. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteSo often we think about the past or worry about the future that we forget to live in the present. This is a beautiful reminder to cherish what is here and now and know that in the cycle of things, what is gone will return.
ReplyDeleteOh, what a beautiful farewell to your summer of soul and body nurturing. School tomorrow, and a great fall will begin soon. Beautiful post, as usual, Terje!
ReplyDeleteThe photos are beautiful, there are so many stages in life. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteThank you for engaging all my senses as we make the transition together. Lovely to read and imagine, spectacular detail that delivers a whole mood.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Terje! That third paragraph turns the whole piece around - from longing to acceptance and mostly appreciation. "My summer has been generous" what a perfect mindset to have as you embark on another school year! Here's to you and the year ahead - I hope today was a grand start!
ReplyDeleteThis was a gorgeous tribute to summer.
ReplyDelete