Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

return

"Look at how big my bag is," a little second grade boy stands at my classroom door on Monday morning, turns his back to show a tightly stuffed schoolbag that covers more than his back. 

He is the first child to arrive at school after a week of holidays and almost two moths of distance learning. He has arrived before most teachers and his own classroom next to my room is still closed. I haven't taken off my jacket, yet. 

"Good morning, F. It's good to see you," I smile to him. 

"You should try it. Really. It' so heavy," he takes off his bag and looks at me with his dark big eyes.

I go and lift his bag, "Yes, you had a lot to carry." 

"I brought back all my books, I-Pad, journals and materials that I took home for distance learning. It was difficult to pack the bag. It's so heavy," he repeats, picks up his bag, waves to me and walks off. 

I look at my large bag on the classroom floor. It's filled with books and journals I took home before we went on distance learning. It's so heavy.  

Oh, how good it's to be back at school. 



13 comments:

  1. Terje, welcome back! Hooray. That's such a cute alive. You and F both with heavy bags, but lighter spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slice of life, I meant, rather than alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sense your joy and a big smile as you wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sense your joy and a big smile as you wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it is really good. You and he have a lot of baggage from the virtual experience. I hope you can take advantage of it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to illustrate your return! Heavy and happy! May you and your students enjoy a safe and celebratory end of a roller coaster school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yayy, welcome back to the classroom! It feels funny saying that as we are five weeks away from summer vacation - enjoy what's left :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good feeling for everyone! I have enough books at home to get me through another week, but then I'll have to go on a supply run. I'm tempted to go clear my desk, but I also don't want to give up on the idea of returning to school before June. I am glad you are able to go back and connect in person, even with the kids who are not in your class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! I hope you and your kiddos stay in-person and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terje, I love this slice on parallel lives. This students is a serious learner just like you. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful! I have just about given up hope that we will be okay to return this year- last in person day this time was February 22. Enjoy! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful! I have just about given up hope that we will be okay to return this year- last in person day this time was February 22. Enjoy! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful! I have just about given up hope that we will be okay to return this year- last in person day this time was February 22. Enjoy! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete