Wind thrashes outside, meanly pulling twigs from the trees and throwing snow around. It whines and complains and would even scream if it had any voice. Everyone hides. Even dogs and ravens think it’s best to silently seek shelter.
I make myself a cup of tea and sit on a sofa. Warm and cozy, light and quiet, I enjoy the moment at home before my first distance learning school day starts.
The red tulips in a vase promise the arrival of spring.



First, I loved listening to you read your slice as I followed along. Second, those tulips are beautiful, the welcome sign of a spring to come. Third, the contrast of the raging wind outside to the quiet and cozy comfort of inside was perfect. Loved this!
ReplyDeleteI really love the imagery you created. Everyone and everything hiding from the silently screaming wind. The warm safe haven contrasts beautifully with what is happening outside.
ReplyDeleteI really love the imagery you created. Everyone and everything hiding from the silently screaming wind. The warm safe haven contrasts beautifully with what is happening outside.
ReplyDeleteOh, Terje, it is gorgeous writing in Estonian and in English. It was fun to hear you reading it. I love the personification of the wind, with everyone and everything hiding from it. You tucked warm and safe inside with your cup of tea--I love it. The tulips are a beautiful promise of spring.
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing your slice in Estonian! I loved hearing you speak, too. You included such beautiful contrasts in your writing imagery.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful flowers and such lovely writing.
ReplyDeleteTerje, that audio file was wonderful to listen to since I have never heard anyone from Estonia speak. Secondly, your English version holds the same sounds that I hear during storms. The words whines and complains are wonderful ways to describe the sounds that break the silence. Your tulips certainly make me eager for spring. I love their vibrancy.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delight! There really is nothing quite like hearing the voice of the writer in their original language. Thank you so much for offering us this literary sample of Estonian that is wonderfully evocative in any language!
ReplyDelete