It's 11:00a.m on Saturday morning. I am sitting on my living room sofa, with a laptop on my thighs, and a plate with eight apple slices and seven walnuts on the coffee table next to me. The small white round table also holds a cup of peppermint tea, two pens, the case for my reading glasses, five green post-it reminders and two thin books of essays with bookmarks to show how much I have read already and how much more to go. I just came back from a short walk. I pretended that the thin layer of snow had not fallen and went out in sneakers. I am thankful I didn't land on my bottom in places where the snow masterfully hid thin layer of ice. My thighs under the laptop still tingle slightly from the cold. The walnuts and apples are gone now.
I celebrate the slowest and the quietest March holiday week I have had in a decade. I am so thankful for the freedom and calm it offered. I had space in my day and head to let the ideas arrive and the words to flow. Without the pressure of the time I had fun writing my own slices and reading what others crafted. I enjoyed writing in the mornings. I know this will change next week when I return to school, and it's ok, it makes this week even more special and my heart even more grateful.My plan for this week was to write and comment as much as I could. And I did. The holiday week provided ample of time. About a month ago I envisioned going to town to gather inspiration and to write in cafes on some days. The skyrocketing Covid cases cancelled this plan. I started each day slowly, sleeping long, doing mindfulness and some yoga, then eating breakfast and completing a quick domestic duty, like vacuuming the living room. And then I sat down to write. Each day I wrote a slice on the blog and then extra snippets in my journal. On Wednesday I had a personal writing retreat, four hours of writing with outside walking breaks in between. It was strange to make and stick to a schedule on a day off. The result was productive and satisfying, so I might give it a try in the future too.
I appreciate that the Two Writing Teachers keep the Slice of Life community active. Hard to imagine my Tuesdays without blogging and March without the writing challenge. I appreciate that the readers respond with warm and caring comments and make me feel seen and valued. Hopefully my comments bring the same feeling to the other bloggers.

Sounds like a lovely week. "I had space in my day and head to let the ideas arrive and the words to flow." Isn't it interesting how this works, needing empty space for creation to occue?
ReplyDeleteI can hear snippets of what you're going to continue into your "new life" after Covid. I too am consciously choosing what has improved the quality of my life during the challenge. I think I may try a personal writing retreat during break at the end of the montoh.
ReplyDeleteYou morning sounds heavenly and perfect for writing. I find that I don’t sit and clear my head often enough so that writing retreat may be in the works for me soon. Thank you
ReplyDeleteToday and tomorrow I am using elements of your student writing marathon for my own writing marathon- your writing life always sounds so cozy!
ReplyDeleteYour week sounds fantastic. Your post reminds me of the importance of reflection - slowing down and noticing what I need to about myself.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it interesting how Covid continues to shape how we spend our days?
Yes, my friend. Your comments are always warm and make me feel seen and valued! Have a great time back in school. I hope you will be able to stay in-person. Be careful! I'll continue to look forward to your hurried posts in the coming weeks. Thanks for all the inspiration you gave me this week!
ReplyDeleteYour plan B for your week made me feel relaxed and accomplished just from reading it. And a personal writing retreat is a great idea! I love framing it that way. Reading and commenting is such an important part of SOL, I agree. Having an audience completely changed how I commit to writing and how I teach writing. Thank you for your post!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to slicing with a slowed down schedule once spring break rolls around. This sounds like a lovely week!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had the week you wanted...time for you to do what you wanted at the pace you wanted. Hope you found it rejuvenating.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had the week you wanted...time for you to do what you wanted at the pace you wanted. Hope you found it rejuvenating.
ReplyDeleteWhile I do hope that one of your breaks someday soon will be an opportunity to connect with others and write in coffee shops buzzing with people, I love how you found the joy that you were able to find amid Covid restrictions and rising numbers. It seems that we have all been in a holding pattern for a long time; yet, it is harder to just "tread water" and go nowhere than it is to go for a long adventure swimming. Please know, I look forward to your voice in this community.
ReplyDeleteThis post felt like a calming deep breath I didn't know I needed to take. Thank you!
ReplyDeletePersonal writing retreat....I want one! It sounds so lovely. As soon as it's a bit safer to travel I think I'll find a hotel room for myself.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a lovely week. It sounds like you got just exactly what you needed for the week of vacation. I love the celebration in this post too. I miss the weekly Celebrate community and am so happy to be able to come back and find the Slice of Life community completely intact. I may start doing a reflection and celebration of my own each week.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gift your week has been. There is a small part of me that will miss the quiet and empty calendar as we return a bit to normalcy. We can’t take anything for granted. Thanks for sharing your reflection.
ReplyDelete