I waited for Leigh Anne’s annual party. And I had all the things ready. The best ones. I had a box of handmade chocolate from Chocolala, several choices of quality tea from Chado, and tubs of organic ice-cream from LaMuu. A wise woman advised that in the topsy-turvy world and times that we live in we should treat ourselves with the best products possible because it makes us happy and we are worth it.
And then I read that I have to bring my ID*.
Bummer! No food and drinks? ID instead?
This might be a challenge, because I am not sure I know what my true identity is. I am searching for it outside and inside me.
I waited for magical help to appear like in fairytales. In vain. No wand nor potions to help me out. And I would not go the criminal way to make a fake ID.
Worried that I might not be allowed to a party without ID, I went on a deep search through my history and experiences.
Depending on when you met me, I might have been: a pioneer at a parade in Tallinn, a gymnast doing a split, a village mailman on a bike, a flower shop helper in Gjennestad Gartnerskole, a first year university student teaching sixth grade English, an exchange student at Smith College in Massachusetts, a juggling multi-tasker finding balance between work and home, a reader buying books in various bookshops in European cities, a teacher drinking tea with a Buddhist monk and two school directors in a monastery in Beijing, a writer on artist dates in museums and exhibitions, an invisible middle-aged woman.
This ID might have expired, so I kept looking for a fresher one. I dug into the corners of my heart and mind, and there it was – my current ID, likely a subject for a change in the future.
Depending on when you meet me, I might be: a caring fairy, an old wise woman, a little girl who wonders whether she is good enough, a stubborn hedgehog, a cartwheeling free spirit, a dancing giraffe, a dragon hunter on a mission, a sleepy sloth, a creative spirit, a beautiful stranger.
Gathering my ID, chocolate, tea and ice-cream, I am ready to go.
Let’s party!
* The mentor text that Leigh Anne shared was “Depending On When You Met Me” by Devon Gundry, Soul Pancake

I love the way you write about what you might have been and then about what might be. I enjoy the contrast and the "fresher" ID that emerged from searching your heart and mind. I will have to try this one.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I mixed things uup a bit this year! I love what you did with this, and I have to admit I laughed at the fake ID! Your first ID may have expired, but I loved learning new things about you. You certainly are a creative spirit and beautiful friend! Oh, and you can still bring your chocolate, tea, and ice cream!
ReplyDeleteThis was well done. You really had fun with it. What a great party to go to!
ReplyDeleteI missed the literal gathering of things for the party too. But your response is beautiful! Some of your identities I know well - the writer on artist dates, the juggling multi-tasker, the teacher drinking tea, the reader. Some are new to me - the gymnast, the village mailman, the flower shop helper, the exchange student at Smith! But I take the most delight in your current ID - a stubborn hedgehog, a dancing giraffe, a sleepy sloth, a creative spirit!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great way to get to know someone and I think it would serve as a great ice breaker at a workshop.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great way to get to know someone and I think it would serve as a great ice breaker at a workshop.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your ID and learned new things about you. From sharing writing with you here for a long time, one thing I know about you is you would never give us a fake ID!
ReplyDeleteSnacks?! This is my first year slicing. Why didn't I think to indulge in snacks for the party? Next year...
ReplyDeleteI learned some new things about you in this slice. This one ("invisible middle-aged woman" struck me as sad...not sure if that was your intention.
ReplyDelete