Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Can you call writing at home a writing retreat? Or is it a writing marathon? Or just writing?

"I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date." The White Rabbit's jingle rings in my ears as I hurry down the hallway. 

"Silly me," crosses my mind when I stop and look at the tea cup in my left hand and a journal and a pen in my right hand. 

Yesterday I made myself a schedule, indicating when and where and what I would write during my personal writing retreat at home, and when and how I would take breaks. 

Standing at the bedroom door, my third writing place for today, I shake my head thinking how bizarre it is to 

1. create a detailed schedule for a free day in the middle of my holiday

2. to call writing in different locations in my apartment a writing retreat

3. to worry that I am one minute late to my writing session

Shaking off the thoughts, I enter the bedroom, put the cup on my bedside table, fluff up a pillow and settle comfortably to write. 

At five o'clock I look at my schedule and congratulate myself for a day well spent. 

I wrote in four different locations, used four different prompts, filled twenty-four A4 journal pages, started eighty-five sentences with I remember as instructed by Natalie Goldberg, answered eleven questions by Austin Kleon, wrote eight paragraphs to say what I am not as invited by Naomi Shihab Nye, and twenty snippets for a random autobiography as suggested by Kim Stafford. I took two walking breaks, eight thousand steps, some made during grocery shopping, ate fruit salad with walnuts for snack, drank three cups of tea, and made chicken in a creamy sauce with mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes for lunch.

What I discovered about the writing locations:

1. Kitchen is the worse place to write. No table and too many snacks close by.

2. One room has comfortable seating but a boring view from a window and nothing on the table or walls. 

3. The other room had uncomfortable seating, an ok view and several interesting (and somewhat distracting) items on a table to look at.

4. The bedroom was the best location to write at today. 

5. It was beneficial not to have wifi available in three rooms. 


The questions that surface:

1. Why haven't I done this before?

2. Would I have written more or less if I had been on a writing retreat away from home?

3. Would the same format work if I decided to write a short story or an article for a newspaper?

4. Do the writers often suffer from back and neck aches and stiff hands?

5. Was moving the locations necessary?

6. Would I write more if someone else cooked?

7. Would I be able to write four hours in one stretch instead of four hours with breaks in between?

8. When will I do it again?


I called today a writing retreat. Can you call writing at home a writing retreat? Or is it a writing marathon? Or just writing? What's your experience with writing retreats?



16 comments:

  1. A great experiment! My spring break is at the end of the month, and I am going to my brother’s house at the lake. Maybe I will create a writing retreat one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been at a writing retreat so I can't speak from that experience -- but I remember when the quarantine started trying to shake things up in my apartment and writing in new locations. I proclaimed myself a nomadic writer. I even purchased some furniture that would allow for more flexible seating for my writing. Since then I've fallen back on my old writing nooks -- but you make me want to try it again. I'd love to try an at-home writing retreat myself! I really enjoyed reading this as it gave me a lot of ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really has me thinking about the way that setting affects our writing. I remember being young and having visions of being a writer at home, in the renovated attic of an older home with hardwood floors, a vaulted ceiling with an overstuffed chair and a dog. Now, none of that has been even remotely close to my writing space. In fact, I am driven more by the space in my head and heart than the space of my pen and paper. This really made me question myself; should I spend more time on the nook and less on the noggin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Writing in different locations. Writing to different prompts. Discovering what places are condusive to writing. I would say you had a very profitable writing retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Writing in different locations. Writing to different prompts. Discovering what places are condusive to writing. I would say you had a very profitable writing retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a brilliant idea - your own writing retreat and reflecting on your writing during this process. It makes me think about the spaces I write in and what I write about. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great experiment. I have been writing on the kitchen/dining room table with Pandora music (Classical for Studying) lately with good results. I also like to write on the couch with my feet curled up and my bathrobe wrapped around me. Yet, the idea of finding new places and evaluating other places is a good use of your retreat day. Just add some extra tea and a few traits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree, brilliant idea making your own retreat! Gave me some good ideas about my own places and schedules. I am the late night person posting at the 11th hour but I would like to change that. Also enjoyed your observations and questions. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only is this a FANTASTIC idea, you have just given me MANY writing ideas. Thank you, Terje!

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terje, I do like sitting in my bed with my laptop to write. There are 3 windows with lots of light. The bed is comfortable and I am alone which is also conducive to get the flow going. I like that you set up a writer's retreat for yourself and thought about Goldilocks and the 3 Bears when you said you went from room to room to find the right spot. Happy Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always change my location throughout the day when I am working from home. I need different spaces for different purposes and I need the movement in between. I often set aside time to write - like a retreat. I make sure no wifi; phone on notification for emergency contacts only; make my space appealing with flowers and candles; and have lots of snacks on hand. I love these days. So happy you found yours productive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS, this was my plan over the short break we just had- I was even going to jazz it up and stay at a hotel in a different part of town, but then, community spread came. SO I was going to do it at home and ran out of time. I am saving this post to inspire my own shorter version for this weekend- I will devote half a day! Thanks for all the great ideas- totally a writing retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am exhausted reading though this. But I am really impressed with your organization and output. A writing life is colored by the person. The ways we get our butt in the chair and stay in that chair is as varied as we are people. The line that I totally connected to was
    "To worry that I am one minute late to my writing session". I do that. May goals for myself that only matter to me! And I can get so crazy manic about it.

    One thing's for sure, you have created so much material for this month! We are lucky recipients of your work

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know if I would call your day a retreat or an excursion. But what a productive day! I am curious about your prompts. I have the Goldberg book, but not sure about your other ones. They sound like they would be great sparks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, you are inspiring others to write with your lovely posts! Thank you so much. Like Leigh Anne, I was curious about the prompts that encouraged so much productivity! Maybe that's another post in the future to tell us more about the prompts you used in your retreat. And yes, call it a retreat! It sounds like a lovely day, and I am sitting here daydreaming about trying it myself. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THIS IS THE BEST. How fun!! Since my home has little people in it, this calls for placing an absence one day or kicking everyone out of the house LOL. I absolutely love this idea! I've always wanted to attend a writing retreat; I'll just make my own!

    ReplyDelete