Pages

Friday, March 19, 2021

Book Spine poem

Tired from the first week of distance learning, brain cells burnt from screen staring, I have reached the place where my own ideas and words are on a strike. Fortunately, they don't mind if I play with words already written. 

Book spine poetry time!

The books on the shelf, as if sensing how much I need their help, generously offer their titles. The wordless feeling inside me guides my search. Mostly English titles, some old, some fresh, and one Estonian title (with an author with the same first name as mine) cooperatively leave their comfy home spots and wait for my guidance. I pile them on top of each other, adjust them to centre the titles and snap a photo.  

Looking at the photo, I realise that the books speak the truth. Art matters. I am glad I am writing. I am glad I played with the titles today. Though after this week I need the wintering and calm to restore, it is the  art that becomes the tipping point in restoring me.

This is what I can offer today.

This book spine poem is joining the other ones from past years.


Wintering

Calm

Restart

The Artist's Way

The Tipping Point

Untamed

Art Matters


5 comments:

  1. I look forward to your book spine poems each year. I always find it interesting how unrelated book titles can be put together to express an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate both the creativity here and the relaxation the process provided. You've inspired me to give this a go before the month is out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reflection on the value of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem! It felt like a bit of deep breathing just reading your carefully curated stack. I'm on the hold list at the library for Wintering. Will it be relevant if it doesn't arrive until spring?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good book spine poem...I find that they are even more challenging to write than crafting your own poem. Well done on this one. It brings me comfort. :)

    ReplyDelete