Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

ice rain

"Be careful" sounded multiple times before I left the school today. The ice rain had turned the streets smooth like glass, nearly impossible to walk. For the first time in years we had to cancel the outside break, it was too dangerous for the kids. The cars in the car park were covered in thick glaze layer, it took some vigorous outside scraping and inside heating to be able to see anything through the windows. The news kept recommending to stay inside and not to go outside. Not an option when you want to return home. 

It's fascinating how the weather can change in a week. Seven days ago we had the most gorgeous winter weather - deep layer of soft snow, blue sky and sunshine, mild cold. Five days ago we broke the cold record of this year - in some places almost minus 30, in my home the minus 25 degrees in the morning bit the nose. Three days ago the weather warmed and the snow started melting, the snow sliding down from the roofs created danger and the melting snow formed running rivers on the streets. And then the ice rain arrived today. 

I got home safely. So did my hubby. My mom was worried and called to check on us. My daughter has a holiday week and she stayed home all day. Tomorrow we will all be at home to celebrate Estonian Independence Day. It allows me to relax that I don't have to drive tomorrow. Being at home means warmth, comfort, and slow pace. 

The changes in weather and pace of life can be expected. With March arriving I even look forward to the change in weather. I can't wait to see the spring arrive. At the same time I am aware that more snow might fall. I look forward to the slowness of holidays during the first week of March. At the same time I am ready for the pace to pick up as I return to school. 

During the March daily writing challenge I look forward to the ideas and words falling softly like fresh snowflakes or pouring down strongly like rain or warming me gently like sunshine. And if on some days the writing might feel like walking on slippery streets and the ideas freeze like ice rain, I will slow down and take small steps. I'll make sure my slices arrive on my blog every day in March. 



5 comments:

  1. As much as I don't like snow, I would rather drive in it than on ice. At least with snow you can get traction. Enjoy the slowness of the beginning of March. Looking forward to your daily March posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I don't like snow, I would rather drive in it than on ice. At least with snow you can get traction. Enjoy the slowness of the beginning of March. Looking forward to your daily March posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we had a foot of snow on the ground and below freezing temperatjures, and then today kids were outside for tennis practice and temps in the mid 50s. I am ready for spring, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had a lovely walk today and saw the first blooms of spring. It was such fun. Looking forward to another month of slicing. I'm always terrified, but I know the words will come, especially as I read the words of fellow slicers. I love how you compared writing slices with the weather. And how fun that your mom called to check on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fast-changing weather patterns are happening around here. Last week, we had snow. Today, I was out for a walk because it was in the 50s. Oh how things can change soquickly!

    Looking forward to slicing with you in March! Your words are always such a gift to us.

    ReplyDelete