Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2020

when you don't know what to do, write a gratitude list

10 days and no writing. Correction. 11 days and no writing as part of my writerly life. I have held a pencil and clicked away on a computer forming words to plan, explain, invite, arrange, reflect, reply, help, summarise, quote, report, remember, appreciate, inform, remind, sort, request, agree, collect, and probably some other reasons that I have forgotten already, writing in different formats, locations, and lengths. Not a single word adding to my habits and goals to the life I am creating for myself as a writer. 

One morning meditation ended with Oprah's quote "When you don't know what to do, do nothing. Be still." My mind must have morphed it into "When you don't know what to write, don't write. Be quiet." I know that this is the silliest advice for any writer. I don't believe in a writer's block. I have tools and strategies and go-to-writing prompts to help me write. 

Looking back it seems as if the other roles in my life pushed the writer out of the game, shushed any attempts to protest, and simply ignored any reasoning coming from this direction. The mother, the wife, the teacher, the principal, the colleague, the coach, the conflict resolution mediator, the friend, the cook, the walker, the reader, the media consumer, the walker, the driver filled the corners of the mind and the hours of the day. Some more than others.  None of them realising that the writer would have been helpful in making sense of the situations, sorting the challenges, and amplifying the joys. 

Oh, well. What's done or not done is in the past. Right now the whole of me is rather tired. The two energy consuming months of school leading to the fall break, the last two weeks when everyone's physical tiredness and emotional fatigue triggered stronger reactions and irrational choices, my efforts to stay positive and solution-oriented, all of it adds up to a stress release on this Saturday morning, with a headache, runny nose and muscles that just want to melt into an armchair. 

The writer knows that even when I might not have the energy to form all that is worth into beautiful texts, it is important to write a gratitude list, because this is what will strengthen me. The writer can be in charge today, because all the school roles are on holidays, the mother/wife has a day alone at home, and all the other roles can't decide what to do.  

Gratitude from the past ten days:

  1. Schoolwork-free (not even checking the school email) weekend
  2. A day away from home with my husband
  3. Beautiful fall weather
  4. Walking in the park
  5. Golden leaves on the trees, falling from the branches and covering the ground
  6. Chocolate, lots of chocolate, fancy chocolate truffles
  7. A fascinating interactive fairy-tale exhibition
  8. Visiting my middle daughter
  9. The oldest daughter visiting us
  10. The youngest daughter greeting me every day I arrive from work
  11. Walking more than 10 000 steps daily
  12. Super comfortable walking shoes
  13. Attending a dance lesson on Monday
  14. Sticking to the morning exercise habit
  15. Mindfulness helping me to stay calm no matter what
  16. A crash course from an experienced conflict resolution mediator
  17. My ability to stay calm and neutral when mediating a meeting
  18. The sigh of relief when seeing some complicated relationship knots untangle
  19. The quiet breathing of students as they are immersed in personal writing
  20. The energetic chatter of students as they collaborate in partner writing
  21. Tea, tea, tea
  22. Successful first ever virtual student-parent-teacher conferences
  23. Supportive and appreciative leadership
  24. A dinner with friends
  25. Healthy home-made lunches to take to school
  26. An apple pie my hubby baked
  27. A walking meeting instead of a sitting one
  28. A new warm fall coat
  29. Finding reading time in the morning
  30. Finishing Yoko Tawada's "Memoirs of A Polar Bear" 
  31. A parent sending in Jesse Thistle's "From the Ashes" because she thought I might enjoy reading during the holidays





4 comments:

  1. You're inspiring me to make this list too--such a wonderful idea. I'm intrigued by the interactive fairy-tale exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh...you captured the life of a writer, my struggle to allow the writer in me to live the life she wants. A gratitude list is always my favorite and I thoroughly enjoyed yours.

    12 (and the way it followed 11) made me chuckle.
    7 made me curious.
    I loved the cadence of 18.
    21 made me wish I were with you.
    27 is awesome.

    That was one of my favorite images from last post.

    I'm glad you're back. :)

    xo,
    ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you're under the weather. I remember so many breaks like this, when the stress of all that passed before manifested itself in my body. Hope you feel better quickly. My favorites were 3, 4, 5, 6, and of course, 21! And the photo you shared is simply luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Being still" is so important - I can see a clear image of literally pushing the writer away and then having to find that stillness to invite it back. This lovely list of so many things to be grateful for will surely help usher some healing to body and mind - and those fall images are definitely a balm to the spirit!

    ReplyDelete