Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

The things I did before writing the slice

  1. Sat on a sofa
  2. Opened my laptop
  3. Stared a the screen
  4. Read some slices
  5. Commented on slices
  6. Scrolled through my photos to look at the three cakes I baked on Friday (Swiss roll with red currents, layered honey cake with hazelnuts, white chocolate cheese cake with cloudberry jam)
  7. Wrote a possible title (How to bake happy)
  8. Deleted the title
  9. Wrote the second title (Why I would never want to join the British Bake Off)
  10. Deleted the title
  11. Wrote the third title (Why I love watching the British bake Off)
  12. Checked Pinterest for mentor texts
  13. Braided my daughter's hair
  14. Wrote the fourth possible title (The benefits of a morning walk)
  15. Scrolled to see what I had blogged about recently
  16. Deleted the title
  17. Ate a mandarin
  18. Checked the news (same old, same old)
  19. Listened to the rain pelting on the window
  20. Looked at my fall photos
  21. Wrote the fifth title (The golden path)
  22. Deleted the title
  23. Watched an episode of Friends
  24. Wrote the sixth title (On the importance of being kind and flexible)
  25. Deleted the title
  26. Closed the laptop and put it away
  27. Packed my lunch for tomorrow (leftover borscht)
  28. Washed myself and got in PJs
  29. Brushed my teeth
  30. Returned to the sofa
  31. Opened my laptop

I guess today was a list-writing-kind-of-a-day. 




11 comments:

  1. The braiding of hair and the eating of the mandarin orange... omg. You did it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a full day w/ lots of writing ideas. I often think, “Why didn’t I write about that?” once I begin reading others’ posts and after I post my link. I really like the way your list tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post to share with students to show how even adult writers can struggle sometimes with getting started but still make an effort! Love your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a list is the way to go. Many of us have done the write - delete, write - delete until we come up with a topic that works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all of the titles... possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear - I am on number five of your list and it is now 7:30 pm. I am not sure I will get my slice done if my evening goes anything like your day. Here is hoping I find my slice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You found your slice, Terje. I am wondering if a list poem would work for your fall photo. The slice is organized well and the repetitive nature of trying to find your slice is a slice of delicious fruit. Consider using one of your photos and bring it to life as you tell your story of autumn in Estonia. I would love to share it at my Abundant Autumn Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terje, what a great way to see this slice of your life. The three amazing cakes you baked started me down a lovely sweet road of imagination! So fun and interesting to see your life in this way today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your list! I frequently use #s 4 & 5. But lately, it's the press of grandson #2 waking up from his nap that keeps me at it. I think my favorites were the titles you wrote and erased. How to bake happy and the golden path were my faves. I wish I could share this post with students. I'm adding it to my padlet of favorite posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your list tells a story - one that many slicers can relate to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terje,
    I think your list captures the beauty of the way writers work. Some may look at it and think you were stuck. I look at it and see the magic and whimsy you welcome into your life.
    xo,
    ruth

    ReplyDelete