"To stop or not to stop?" My feet and head couldn't come to an agreement. Usually my feet are in charge of my daily brisk morning walk, a habit I have developed since I stopped taking a train and drive to school instead. The recent walks in a quiet morning neighbourhood of small houses and fall coloured trees have been lovely. Yesterday, after about ten minutes of walking, I turned a corner of a street and almost stepped on a shiny brown horse-chestnut on the ground.
I took the next step and one more, spotting a horse-chestnut after another, and suddenly a little thought in my head shouted for a stop. I already had one smooth gem in my pocket from a previous walk, and now I picked up one more to keep the first one company. My feet were ready to move on, so I listened.
Before I got back to my rhythm, before I had past the first tree in the row of five, the thought demanded attention again. The road was covered with fresh horse-chestnuts as if they had rained down over night. It seemed so wrong to leave them there. It seemed strange to start picking them. My brain, completely confused now, couldn't send clear signals to my body. I took a step forward and a step back, step forward and a step back, step forward and a step back. Realising that my indecisive movement must have looked ridiculous to anyone who might have looked out from their window, my feet chose to listen to the head.
I used both hands to pick the conkers and stuffed them in my coat pockets not minding that now I had funny bumpy lumpy hips. My pockets full and the head happy, my feet carried me back to school. The head hadn't stopped working though. It came up with an idea. The nature's gifts would make a great invitation for a quick write. With head and feet in harmony, my heart felt light and happy.

Oh, the indecision. So glad that your head won out and that you were able to share this bit of nature with us. And get your walk in too!
ReplyDeleteI love how you took such a small moment and turned it into something. Your post goes perfectly with Ruth's writing suggestion. I am going to think about your post this week and give it a try. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI do this too, this indecision with things I notice! So glad you collected them and let them inspire you!
ReplyDeleteI love your approach to life and your honesty in writing.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures and writing about your walks are always so lovely. I feel like I am walking along beside you.
ReplyDeleteI love chestnuts! Thank you for taking us on the walk with you!
ReplyDeleteThe tension between your head and your feet creates a wonderful rhythm to your walk. I love fall treasures!
ReplyDeleteI knew this inspiration was headed for your classroom and a writing opportunity. Glad you let head and feet find harmony.
ReplyDelete