Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Student writing marathon

 Gathered on a carpet, the students look at me with anticipation. Since the morning, when they saw "Writing marathon" on the schedule, they have been curious about it. Bringing two totem bags to the meeting adds to the puzzlement. Time to reveal the mystery. 

"You all know what a writing marathon is. It takes time and the runners run a long distance. If you first hear about writing marathon you might think that it means sitting in a chair for two hours and writing non stop until your fingers fall off.  Maybe by the end of the year you might wish to try this, when you have trained your fingers and body enough to have the stamina to write so long. Today the marathon is different. We'll move around and write in different spots and step by step it adds up to many pages of writing," I explain. Some of them still look at me with some suspicion. Some already smile broadly with excitement.

"I did my first writing marathon this summer and it was one of the best days ever. I wrote in a cafe, in a park, on a seaside, in another cafe. Such joy. And to have a good start, you will receive a very special gift," I pull out a wrapped gift from the first bag.

"You will get your first writer's journal. Writer's journal is no ordinary school notebook. This is a special journal for writers to collect ideas, experiment with sentences, to play with words, to try out new craft moves. It is a very safe place for you to write in. You can make mistakes, not finish pieces, leave some pages empty, cross things out, have messes. It is so private that you do not have to share it with anyone unless you want to. I get to read the journal only because as a teacher I need to monitor your development as a writer. The writer's journal is not a school thing but a life thing in the writer's life. Here are some of my journals I have kept over the years," I pull out a pack of my journals from the second bag and show them some pages.

I can feel how the anticipation fills the air. Even the biggest skeptics shift closer to the gift package. 

Tearing the wrapping paper off, I reveal the simplest journals similar to the ones I first started writing in. Each student finds a colour they like, knowing that later they can decorate the covers in any way they wish. Then they get a pencil and find their first writing spot in the classroom.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"Yes," they respond in unison.

The first task is to write lists. They write a list of what makes them happy, their favourite places, people in their lives, favourite foods, favourite animals and a random list of words that pop in their head. 

The second task is to choose one thing from any of the list and we do a quick write.

The third task is to write a "Right Now" list. Before they start I share some of my examples from the blog.

Each time they write, I put on a timer and some soft music. 

For the second round I read to them "Step Gently Out." Then they put on their jackets and outside shoes and we go to the school yard.

The fourth task is to write down observations, painting a big scene with their words. They spill around finding various spots and start scribbling.

When the time is up, I ask them to run to me to get new instructions.

The fifth task is to find an object - a leaf, a feather, a crack in the wall, a section of a tree bark, a flower, a grass of blade - and this time to write a detailed close observation.  Once again they walk off, looking around for something to write and a place to settle in. Writing, writing, writing.

When I call, they run back to me.

The sixth task is to write down any wonderings they can come up with. 

The second part of the marathon done, we return inside, they take off the jackets, change their shoes, and change with each other predictions of the possible new location. Gym? Library? Cafeteria? Teacher's lounge?

I take them to the second floor next to the library.

The seventh task is to choose a photo form a package and write about it. They take some time to choose form the photo cards I have spread on the floor, then pick one that speaks to them today, and find a place in the hallway or library. 

The eight task is to choose an illustration. I have spread Dixit cards on the floor, and they follow the same steps as with the photos - look, pick, write.

The ninth task is to write a short reflection of the whole experience. They sit on lined up sofas like birds on a wire. 

When the time is up, I ask them to do a little silent victory dance for completing their first marathon. 

We return to to the classroom for sharing.

With partners they choose what kind of a share they wish to have - content, craft, process, topic, or a reflection share. 

For the very final piece of our writing time I introduce the author's chair. A volunteer sits in a green armchair and chooses what kind of feedback she'd like form others - a question, a suggestion, a compliment, a connection, an idea or a memorable line. 

The first student writing marathon is done. It took one hour and thirty minutes. Not so much time, yet three writing spots visited, nine quick tasks written, several writing ideas collected, knowledge of ways to collect ideas noted, many pages filled in the journal, and students excited about writing - win-win-win for everyone. 







6 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh, Terje, I looooooooove this so much! Thank you for sharing all the details so that I can borrow your fabulous ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How incredible, Terje! I could feel the excitement and found myself wishing I had been there doing the marathon with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to introduce your writer's journals. I wish I could have joined in. Maybe we could figure out how to do a Zoom writing marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so much fun to read, and would have been even more fun to write through! I'm thinking of ways I can do this with my own children who are so often stuck at home lately. I think they'd love a writing marathon in our neighborhood. Such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post just reminds me all the reasons I adore you! Thank you for sharing your words to your students. I, too, felt myself leaning in and shifting closer to hear what you would reveal next! I am thinking of ways to harness some of this magic for my students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this. The most magical image of all is imagining them running to you.

    ReplyDelete