Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

How do you take care of yourself?

 "So, what can we do to take care of our teachers?" we asked at our leadership meeting, thinking of ways we could support them from quick check-ins to organising some social events to cheer them up and various things in between.

"Perhaps we could also ask the question What are you doing to take care of yourself? to remind them that we can take many steps ourselves too," another idea surfaced.

"If we are going to ask this question from teachers we should be able to answer it ourselves," was a valid response.

Here's my list:

1. I try to make sure that I have enough sleep. I don't get to sleep as long as I did during distance learning when I didn't have to drive anywhere so it takes effort to go to bed to aim for eight hours of sleep.

2. I exercise in the morning. About 20-30 minutes. I use Asana Rebel app to guide me. My next step is to get some exercise into the evening too.

3. I walk. When I take a train, I walk to school for thirty minutes through the city. And back in the afternoon. When I drive, I park my car at school and then take a walk. 

4. I write gratitude lists. Especially when times get tough, I count what is well. Little things add up to a lot. 

5. I keep learning. Learning fuels me. 

6. I take breaks. I leave my classroom during the break time. Sometimes I join kids for an outside break. I take one work free day each week. Even with a long to-do-list I choose to do something else on Saturday. 

7. I have regular mindfulness practice. After the exercise and shower I use Calm app to do ten to twenty minute exercise. I do a short exercise with my students at school. Sometimes I add an evening mindfulness session before the sleep. 

8. I make choices. The musts and wants and wishes add up to way more things that can fit in a day. I choose what is essential to get done that day and what I need the most for myself. Some things I let go.

9. I make time for things that bring me joy. I read. I write. I take photos. 

10. I drink tea. 


How do you take care of yourself?


During my last walk I was looking for color. Finding this pumpkin hanging in a hedge outside of a fence made me smile. 

6 comments:

  1. Terje, what a significant and lovely list of ways you take care of yourself. So much good exercise! Good for you. You will definitely be able to lead the teachers to learn some new ways to take care of themselves too. I do some things, but many not regularly enough. Here is my short list of what I'm pretty good at: 1) Get enough sleep. 2) Eat well. 3) Cook and try new recipes. 4) Read and write. I see a few items on your list that I need to work harder at (exercise and making choices, for two!) Thanks for this post. It's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list and a great reminder that we can't take care of others unless we first take care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great list and a great reminder that we can't take care of others unless we first take care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terje, I love your reflective stance. This commitment resonates with me: "I keep learning. Learning fuels me." I think starting your leadership meeting with that question was a good move. What a wonderful image you found during your walk. I unveiled my Embraceable Summer 2019 for Poetry Friday. I included one of your nature photos that is so serene. https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2020/09/viewing-embraceable-summer-gallery-2019.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very important and inclusive list. I can relate to it very well, especially the part about learning. I also love a cup of tea and always start my day that way. I am currently on a diet (the first in my life) and like the results I've seen. I realize this is also a good way to take care of myself. And, lastly, for me, sleep is so important. If I do not sleep well, I do not function well. So, I guard my sleep needs closely. Thanks for an inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do some of the same things, but lately I’ve been doing less of them since time is catching up with me. That said, I read nightly before bedtime. That makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete