Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

useless worry

Sitting in the van, swimsuit under a long dress, looking at the pine forest on the side of the ever winding road I worried that hundred eyes of strangers might see my pale no-beach-shape body. Last time we drove to that partially hidden beach we found several cars parked at the entrance of the forest path and realised that the secret wasn't a secret anymore. I kept this worry silent in my head.

"It might be that the stinky mesh of blue-green algae that has overtaken our beach has reached this beach also," I voiced my second worry. The hot days, perfect for swimming, had sped the spread of icky and unhealthy algae from a thin layer to almost paste thick substance erasing any hope to plunge into the coolness of the water. The water in our destination had been clean the day before but experience had shown that change in the water condition could happen quickly.

"Or it could be even worse, that the sea is clear but the winds have changed and turned the water icy-cold," I voice my next worry. More than once this summer we had approached the water anticipating pleasure yet meeting disappointment when the freezing cold cramped the legs after first steps in the sea. Such cruelness on simmering hot days.

"What are you trying to do?" one of my daughters asked,"Scaring us to turn back even before reaching the beach?"
"No, she is preparing you for the worst, so you wouldn't be disappointed," my sis gave her view.
Perhaps my sis was right. I hadn't considered my intention for sharing the worries. The worries had arrived without warning and the mouth had spoken without much thought.
"If what I said is true, we can just sit there and admire the beauty," I tried to finish with a positive note.

It felt like the road was longer than previous times, like by some spell more turns had been added to the road. Finally we arrived and didn't see a single car and the first look over the little cliff showed clear water. The worries gave a way to hope. We still had a path to walk through the forest before reaching the safe slope down to the sea. Picking some blueberries from the bushes on the forest floor didn't slow the walk and eventually we reached the beach.

As far as I saw the lengthy narrow strip of sand was empty. Not a single soul besides my joyful family. The tall pines standing up the slope cast shadows touching the shoreline. The wide bay glistened all the way to the horizon. The beauty of the view swell my heart.

My daughters shed their dresses and took first tentative steps into the water.
"It's warm enough for you to come," my oldest turned around and smiled to me.
This was a sign for my hubby and I to strip to swim-wear and walk into the water.

All the worries evaporated and deep happiness filled me.

*****************

More about Sea and I

The photo is form a different place and time.
Similar to the place I wrote about and many beaches on North Estonian coastline.


8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that looks beautiful, Terje! And the fact that you picked blueberries on the way makes it a total win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberru, a nice blue sea, a clear blue sky...no way to feel blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your worries were useless. Your joy is evident by slice's end. Glad you were able to dip in and enjoy the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "All the worries evaporated and deep happiness filled me." - ahhhh! Maybe that's the charm of low expectations/head full of worry, finding so much joy when it turns out differently! Loved your quote of your daughter, ""What are you trying to do?" one of my daughters asked,"Scaring us to turn back even before reaching the beach?" Our kids know that "mom" voice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wonder if we are a bit afraid to find joy these troubled days.
    I am so glad you did.
    I appreicate the structure of your piece, taking us from your own thoughts, inside the car, to the larger family, down the path, finally to the sea. It was an 'opening up' as we kept reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could really relate to your post and your worries. These words resonated:"I hadn't considered my intention for sharing the worries. The worries had arrived without warning and the mouth had spoken without much thought." I'm so glad your worries were for naught and that you enjoyed blissful beach solitude with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how none of the worries came to fruition and the day was so perfect. I am so glad for you! This was written so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worries are senseless, aren't they? I try to contain worrying when I see myself fretting. Sometimes that's easier said than done. At least yours were for nothing and you got to enjoy the beach all to yourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete