Pages

Friday, July 10, 2020

going on a dragon hunt

If you ever feel that your life is boring, you should spend some time with a 4-year-old boy.
Even one day can hold so much as my little nephew showed to me. The important thing is to be open-minded, patient and listen carefully to let the day unfold. 

We started with sea travels to find treasures. I thought I had been clever burying the treasures deep and besides marking the special spot with a cross creating false spots with extra crosses. The little pirate, clever and persistent, armed with a large blue spade, was not easily fooled, he dug and dug the wholes until he found the treasures. We went to many islands where the same thing happened, I hid the treasures and he dug everything up – the Danish King’s crown the Roman Soldier’s shield, a golden cup, a jewellery box, an Ancient Greek vase, a chest of silver coins, delicate China plates, diamond rings and tiaras. 

When he had so many treasures we became the king and queen and went on a dragon hunt. We ran and hid and made traps for the dragons and after a successful hunt we fried the dragon meat and ate it with marshmallows and omelette. The hardest dragon to catch was a white snow dragon living in the mountains. We climbed to the highest spot and looked for the gleaming yellow eyes, the only thing visible when the dragon had its eyes open. Instead of blood, the sweet honey run in dragon’s veins. When I got worried that with all the hunting the dragons might become extinct, the King came up with a plan to feed the dragons with different purple blossoms we found in the meadow and become friends with the dragons instead. We had success! The snow dragon allowed us to get honey from a scratch he had got when he stubbed its toe against an icicle. 

With our tummies full we ventured to the artistic world, drawing dragons and their fiery breaths that filled most of the pages. We drew a green dragon with four wings, and a blue dragon with spiky tail, and a little dragon who had chicken pox. 

Returning to our kingdom we were ready for a rest, sat into our nest swing throne and watched how all the dragons paraded in the sky – a pink pearly girl dragon, a massive grey dragon with a tail so long we couldn’t see the end, a dragon who was able to breathe shapes like butterflies and cats, a rainbow dragon, and the chicken pox dragon, but we sent him home because we didn’t want others to get infected. Our favourite dragon was a pizza dragon who made crushed candy pizzas.

We had eaten well and now we thought of all the poor who had no food. We decided to cook soup for the sads, and oh how delicious the soup became with clover blossom meatballs, twig carrots, pinecone potatoes, juniper pepper, dill, lichen parsley and large leave laurel. For a dessert, we created a five-layered unicorn cake. 

What a day! And we repeated it the next day. He was ready for a dragon hunt even before breakfast. 


Delicious soup!


4 comments:

  1. What fun for both of you! There is nothing better than the imagination of a 4 year old. I hope his creativity is nurtured and enjoyed by all he meets in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reads like a fairy tale. I love seeing the world through the eyes of a child and miss the days when I was surrounded by dinosaurs every time I stepped into the back yard. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing this nurtured my creativity! You are a treasure to go all in with your nephew. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adventurer you are! I think I would love to bring Jack and join your dragon hunt. I'm sure you know the book, My Father's Dragon. Love thinking about all the buried treasures you found. I wish we could send the Covid-19 dragon home!

    ReplyDelete