Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

The first swim

The air swelling with heat made me feel as if I would melt like tar on a road and the strawberries tasted like boiled. The sweltering hot day slowed time and movement. The sea's smooth surface mirrored the lightly dancing clouds. I tipped my toe into the water and for the first time in several days it didn't instantly freeze. I walked further, water reaching my ankle, my shins, my knees, my thighs. I stood still, gathering courage. One, two, three - I plunged in. The water was kindly cool and I didn't rush to jump out. I turned on my back and floated - ageless, weightless, at peace.

An illustrative photo from a different place and time. Equally peaceful and beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. I can feel the oppressive hear and the welcome relief the water brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your slice just slowed me down and I really appreciate the vivid language you used to describe this moment. Thank you for the reminder to take in the small moments. This was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ageless, weightless, at peace... we felt it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful. Your words create a strong impression of the peace you felt. And that photo is incredible.

    ReplyDelete