Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

happiness

During the SOLSC I read Annie Campbell blog post about happiness. She speaks how her parents taught her and she taught her children "to name happiness boldly, unselfconsciously, and without apology." 

I thought of this several times on Saturday, on my first day in the city after ten weeks at home, two weeks after the restrictions had been relieved.

I thought of this: 

in my favourite small tea shop 
walking on the cobble stone streets of Old Tallinn
during lunch with my two daughters in a lovely restaurant
talking to the owner of my favourite little bookshop after buying two books
at a photo exhibition about the countries that do not exist
watching my daughters eat ice-cream in a local organic ice-cream shop
letting a piece of chocolate melt on my tongue in a handmade chocolate shop

The world is a mess on many levels, and there is no telling whether it's getting better or worse. I questioned whether being happy during this time would be appropriate. Then I remembered Annie's words that when you feel happy, you should say it, and write it down to make it stronger. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh this is SO true, Things are improving slowly around here and it is easy to get frustrated, feel unhappy,and become grumpy. It takes (as Annie and you said) intention to be happy and to enjoy some semblance of normalcy. Thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you: when you are happy shout it out to the world. I was immediately happy when I read "letting a piece of chocolate melt on my tongue in a handmade chocolate shop". YUM! I went out to the eye doctor today and then to the eyeglass store. I felt bold and went to pick up little items for my granddaughter's 3rd birthday next weekend. The totality of the trips made me happy. Most of all, I am happy because we are traveling to Virginia to see Sierra and her little 5-month-old sister who is celebrating her 5-month birthday today. Happiness flows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea of being intentional about being happy! We need that right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me happy. I felt a bit guilty sharing my birthday bliss given what's happening in our world. But we need to name happiness when we find it. I love thinking of you doing all those happy things in your city, especially being in the bookshop and the chocolate shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We shouldn't have to apologize for being happy. In these times we need to embrace happiness anywhere and anytime it comes our way. Glad you found so many things that lifted your spirits.

    ReplyDelete