Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2020

alien beauty

My sister has tried growing lupines in our seaside summer home in Northern Estonia. We get only few flowers each year. The soil is not right. We admire a field of lupines from the car window on the way to the countryside. My sister doesn't give up. This year we have five blue and one two pink lupines in the garden.

The other day I went for a walk in my local neighborhood and instead of my usual route I turned a different direction. What a surprise it was to find lupines in a small meadow next to rail road tracks. Someone had taken care of them. The grass around them was cut short to allow the flowers stand tall and pretty.

I have always known that lupines are not local plants in Estonia. They were initially introduced as garden flowers and then cultivated on fields and from there they escaped to the road verges. There has been talk of getting rid of them in the wild if they start spreading too much. I hope it doesn't happen. Their beauty is astonishing.

I posted a photo of lupines on my instagram and Ruth reminded me of a wonderful book in her comment. I was an adult, working at the international school, when I came across "Miss Rumphius" by Barbara Cooney. "You must do something to make the world more beautiful" the book carries a message. All of us don't have a green finger or sometimes the soil does not support our efforts. We have other ways to put beauty in the world. I can contribute with some words and photos.












10 comments:

  1. Yes, your words and your photos DO make the world more beautiful. We are blessed to read and see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful--I love these flowers. And I also love your closing here--the idea of finding a way to contribute something beautiful. I'm glad you are doing that with your words and pictures--I look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so beautiful. I am living in Western Maine right now and the lupines are everywhere. Each time I see one, they make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have always known that lupines are not local plants in Estonia. They were initially introduced as garden flowers and then cultivated on fields and from there they escaped to the road verges." I loved this bit of insider information about lupines in Estonia. I wouldn't have known they weren't native to Estonia. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing the beauty in your corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flowers bring beauty and sunshine to the soul. Your photos are delightful. I love the backstory you added in. Hope your lupines thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beauty - both in your words and in your photos. Here's to making the world more beautiful through flowers - writing - community - family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking a new path leads to new discoveries. I need to remember that and try a new road once and a while. Such beauty! I love the way you make the world just a little more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are amazing! (Purple is my favorite color too...) I enjoyed your new discovery. I also always enjoy your words and photographs. Beauty where my eyes open wide and a smile emerges on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful field of flowers and one so close to you that you can continue to enjoy. Sometimes just turning a corner can make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Terje, this is beautiful. I believe my heart broke a little at the thought of Estonia getting rid of lupines. My friends Scott and Tricia grow beautiful lupines, but I can never get them to take root around my house. You remind me that we each have unique ways of adding beauty to the world. I hope one day I can be as wise as Miss Rumphius (and you).
    Hugs, Ruth

    ReplyDelete