You all probably know the story of an old man whose horse runs away and people say he is unlucky. Then the horse comes back bringing a wild horse with him. People say he is lucky. His son rides the horse and falls, breaking his leg. Unlucky. The army drafts men form the village and because the son is crippled he is left home. Lucky. The old man answers every time, "Maybe."
This story keeps surfacing in my mind as I think of the current situation.
Last week, when I had to make the decision not to travel to Slovenia to present at a conference, it seemed so unfair, because the numbers of people with the virus were small in Estonia and Slovenia was virus free. Washed with a mixture of negative feelings I certainly felt unlucky. Only ten days later, Estonian government declared a state of emergency. The number of virus cases has increased exponentially. All schools will be closed. Teachers and students will start distance learning on Monday. I am so thankful for not being in Slovenia right now. I don't have to list the reasons, do I?
Luck?
Following what was happening in the world, my school has been preparing for the campus closure for two weeks already. So when the announcement came, we had our distance learning plan and handbook ready. We had time to prepare the kids for the novel situation. The early years and lower school teacher created care packages with all sorts of materials to continue supporting hand-on and play-based learning, including things like pasta, popsicles, and sponges. My fourth graders got special home-learning journals that they decorated with happy stickers; they chose two to five books to take with them; and as all writers, they took some colourful post-its and colourful paperclips with them. And yes, they were allowed to make a paperclip chain. I packed some essentials to take home - several picture and poetry books. The teachers know which platforms to use and how, and how to communicate with children, parents and each other. We learned form other people experiences and stress the need for flexibility and self-care. The school decided not to ask the teachers to prepare anything over the weekend and implemented two day preparation plan for the beginning of next week. The students will have their first e-lesson on Wednesday. This weekend everyone is expected to rest, play, read or do anything else they need to charge.
We also understand the need for humour in building resilience, so based on the following advice form Piglet (shared during a teacher meeting last week), all teachers received a Toblerone. And because (opposite to my belief of Estonians being calm and rational) the toilet paper hoarding has hit Estonia too, so we also received a roll of toilet paper.
I'll be home for the next two weeks for sure. It is very likely that we'll be at home much, much longer.
Unlucky? Maybe. Lucky? Maybe.

Preparation is the key here. SO glad you wisely got things ready ahead of time. Very thoughtful, and it will make things easier. And I agree with Piglet and Pooh - these things are not all bad! Stay well!
ReplyDeleteThis virus has all of us in a whirl. Everyone seems to be affected in some way. Keep healthy.
ReplyDeleteYou structured this post so well with the story of the old man and lucky/unlucky. It sounds like the thoughtful planning has been so helpful in preparing both teachers and students for this unprecedented situation. We're working on some of that here as well. Take care!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like your district was very prepared. We found out today that we were closing, and we are not prepared. Many lessons will be learned!
ReplyDeleteTerje, maybe this virus crisis will teach us how to be happy with living a simpler life and be grateful for what we have. It is hard to believe that words like social distancing and distance learning are hot topics now. NYC has not closed their schools yet because they are worried about the children who live in poverty. They depend on the school for their breakfast and lunch. There are other reasons but I am not sure if officials will be able to not close the schools. Keep on letting us know what is happening with the virus in Estonia.
ReplyDeleteTwo weeks to prepare seems so much better than the two days we have invested. But, our kids are resilient and so are the teachers... I definitely feel more lucky than not, but the uncertainty is so hard to live with! Thanks for your post!
ReplyDeleteLucky--unlucky. I had not heard that story that I know of. Interesting and yes, a good example of the uncertainty, sort of like continual silver linings to unfortunate events. The humor you shared was a nice touch. I appreciate bits of humor in situations like these.
ReplyDeleteOh, Terje, I came looking for Piglet and found so much more. Lucky, unlucky - usually a bit of both. Your school has done so much to prepare. I'm so happy for your students who went home with supplies, materials, journals, and books!
ReplyDelete