Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

a little thank you has a powerful effect

A wise teacher would not open a school email on a Saturday. A balanced teacher would prioritise personal and family life on the weekends. A healthy teacher would take a day off from digital devices. Sometimes the wise, balanced, healthy teacher might make a different choice and open the school email. (I'd like to think I am wise, balanced and healthy.)
A letter form a parent. "Thank you!" on a subject line. 
Of course I will open it. 

Hi Terje,

I just wanted to take a minute to say “Thank you” for all you do for the kids, both P’s class and the entire PYP. I know last week had to be stressful with all the kids returning from break and travels. We appreciate you trying to keep the kids healthy and easing their anxiety over the virus situation. The communication from the school has been great and the procedures that have been put in place eases our worries.

I hope you have a restful weekend and stay healthy!  

Warm regards,

A.

From the deep of my heart a bubble of gratitude moves to my eyes and spills into tears. I hadn't realised how much a cancelled conference and increased to-do list due to the virus had bottled up knotted emotions. The short and sweet email was like a hug, relaxing my breathing and easing the tension. 
A grateful teacher would read the last line and choose to follow the advice to have a restful weekend. Email closed, I opt for reading beautiful and inspiring blog posts instead. 

7 comments:

  1. That is great! It is always nice for someone to acknowledged that we are doing our best to help the kids. Great Slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thank yous teacher get are rare. Print it out and save it to reread another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the times that make us remember why we do this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a kindness from this parent! It's always so good to have those words of affirmation. I enjoyed the beginning here where you detail what the wise, balanced, and healthy teacher might do. Very funny intro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice to get a thank you from a parent especially when we don't expect one. It is always nice to know that we are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice to have acknowledgment for what you do for your students, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so well-deserved! You pour your heart and soul into everything, and when you receive gratitude for what you do, it makes it all worth it. I'm so glad you got this- and at the right time. Keep riding that high!

    ReplyDelete