Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

new glasses

Letters look bolder, words clearer and paragraphs neater. I got new reading glasses today. Bigger and stronger than my very first pair that I received several years ago.

I don't know if anyone ever told me that when you have glasses you should get your eyes checked every two years, or perhaps I chose not to remember it. I can't say that I didn't know that my eyesight was getting worse. I knew for quite some time that I needed new glasses. Not that the glasses had lost their quality, were flawed or broken. Too proud to admit that my eye sight had worsened, I kept stretching my hands, squinting my eyes and looking for better light when reading. It didn't stop me from reading. At school, on a train, at home, in a car (passenger seat of course). I read poetry, essays, fiction, educational texts, blogs, newspapers, magazines, recipes, children's texts, reports. I kept buying books. I probably would have kept reading the fuzzy shadowy texts if a facebook ad would not have invited people for an eye check. I signed up, got an appointment for the following week, and the glasses were ready in less than five days. Why did I wait for so long? Pride? Denial? Inconvenience of making an appointment?

New glasses help to me see properly again. Feels good. Feels right. Feels like I should stay home reading for some days.

8 comments:

  1. I’ve worn some form of corrective eyewear since I was seven, although I actually got my first pair of glasses a couple years earlier. A paradox of wearing glasses is eyes tend to weaken from wearing them, at least for me. I didn’t have that problem w/ contacts, which I wore 25 years.

    Glad the new glasses are working well. Enjoy the reading marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in year 4? and definitely need to 1) make an appointment and 2) get new glasses. It's a matter of finding/making the time. Your post is a good reminder to me.....perhaps I should call now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am due for my yearly appointment - yes, my appointment is every year. I have dry eyes so I need that checked. My glasses have not changed prescription though. It is a pleasure to be able to see properly, Terje. Enjoy your new glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these final words from your post - "Feels good. Feels right. Feels like I should stay home reading for some days." Ahhh, the power of three! I so remember the years I found myself adjusting and readjusting my textbooks, searching for better light, thinking that my graduate school reading was to blame. Only to discover that I needed reading glasses. I'm glad to live in a time when we can correct most vision problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have worn glasses since second grade and I am now retired seven years. I get a notice from my eye doctor every two years letting me know it is time for a check up. It is amazing how new glasses change how we see the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must feel so good to see so well again! I'm having trouble with my vision right now and I would love it if everything was clear again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you took us through several years of worsening eyesight in just a few short lines, a few quick lists. I loved how you kept reading right through it all - and how reading is where you go again with those new glasses. I don't wear glasses yet, but my day is coming soon. When I get them, I bet I'll think of this little slice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this- you captured that feeling perfectly of having the right glasses prescription. Cheers to seeing clearly.

    ReplyDelete