Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

imperfect writing conditions

I am reading a book where the author spends a beginning of the fall in an old summer house in a remote countryside in Canada. He has chosen this place far from home, on the opposite side of earth, for the quiet, loneliness and writing time he wishes for as a writer. He observes chipmunks, beavers and hummingbirds; listens to thunder, coyotes howling and trees falling in the forest; muses about wilderness and human nature, home country and making the foreign a home, the inner child and how old is old. This book is 386 page long slice of life.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I had the time, space and solitude to write. It might happen that even under the perfect conditions I would find all the excuses in the world not to write anything. I feel happy when I write on Tuesday evening on my living room sofa while my hubby watches TV and my daughter finishes her homework. I don't mind that I don't have a goal or a plan. I forgive myself when the writing is short and uneven.

Today, for example, I couldn't choose what to write about and I serve you a list of random snippets:

1. We skipped a dance lesson yesterday because my hubby had an Australia sized blister under his foot, making it impossible to jive.
2. When you go to a beach town in winter there isn't much to do there except to walk. This may result in blisters. Blisters and a missed dance lesson are insignificant. A half-sleep, half-closed, nothing-to-do beach town in winter can still be a wonderful place. The walking together, a fabulous dinner and stay in a luxurious Art Nouveau hotel make the day memorable.
3. There's something special about Sunday breakfast chosen form an a'la cart menu and served on floral design plates on a table with crisp white table cloth.  A candle lit in a tall golden candle stick in the centre of the table lifts the experience even a level higher.
3. The alarm clock on Monday can hit the brain like a cannon ball and shatters the dreams of seaside and sunsets.
4. It's worth getting out of bed on Monday when the children ooze of enthusiasm and creativity in the writing workshop.
4. Creativity is contagious. What if is powerful. Writing alongside the kids is fun.
5. Possible ideas for future writing: What if Pig Princess becomes a baker? What if an elephant wants to own a porcelain shop? What if the most talkative alien looses her voice? What if a teacup asks a teapot for a teapet? What if the preschoolers turn into mud monsters?

Happy writing at any time and in any place that you happen to be!








6 comments:

  1. Reading your post I’m reminded of the myriad moments in life, these often disparate thread that comprise a story, the narrative of one life. Each slice is a part of the whole. This makes your post very satisfying for me, especially your reflection on the beach. My husband and I spent a night at a lovely old hotel on a beach in Ireland. It was a bit of a drive off the beaten path, but we strolled the beach got hours, looking at the sunset and savoring the quiet. We ate dinner at the hotel and had an unobstructed view of the beach. It was perhaps the most comfortable night I’ve spent away from home. I want to relive that day over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the photo you shared from the beach where you walked in the second description?

    BTW: What’s the name of the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey asked my questions. I am in love with your beach scene. Is it an Estonian beach? It looks like you, Glenda, and I are all recollecting our beach days. Serendipity! I would love for you to send me your beach scene with your name and beach location for my Winter's Embrace collection on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With several feet of snow on the ground, the beach sounds wonderful. What if we focused on a writing - ish environment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often wonder if there is a perfect setting for writing. Would we feel that in a perfect writing spot we must produce perfection? Your photo evokes such a sense of peace and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful random snippets, especially #s 3 and 5. The sunset pic is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete