Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Inspired by Sarah Kay - Questions and Answers (in no particular order)

We had three-way conferences today. The students shared their reflections and goals and made plans. I read some Sarah Kay poetry in between some conferences. I got an idea for today's slice from there. Some of what was shared at the conferences today, and some additional questions asked, are in the following poem. This blog is my writing playground. So here is my little experiment for today. It's certainly a format to try again with more time to think and write. 


What are your strengths? 
I am a monster
What are you looking for? 
Making books with my brother
Why do you write? 
It’s only one piece of everything
What about spelling? 
Horrible and wonderful days
How can you improve?
Remind me to write
What's your favourite writing? 
The keys I lost
What do you write about? 
Use sticky notes
How can your teacher help? 
Write imaginable stories
What will you do? 
Choose a new journal
What would you like to continue with? 
Share interesting words
What next? 
A letter to my left shoe  
Where did you find them?
My writing journal 
How can your parents help? 
Experiment and play
What is your goal? 
It makes me feel good

6 comments:

  1. I like this format and the freedom it provides. I would think students could have a good time experimenting with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to stamp love emojis all over this piece! It's fun and real and I can hear the kids reflection and voice. Thanks so much for trying something new and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting format. I particularly like "What next? A letter to my left shoe" as I am not sure whether that is meant to be coupled (a couplet) or not. Still I like it as the answer to What next? A letter to an article of clothing would be an interesting prompt, I think! Thanks for sharing! I hope you do continue to experiment with this format. ~ Carol from teh Apples in My Orchard ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Favorite line - It's only one piece of everything. I would love to more about this format. Was this something Sarah did as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Questions and answers" is one of her poems. :)

      Delete
  5. I love Sarah Kay, student led conferences (I'm assuming that is 3-way conferences), and found poetry. This line:"What's your favourite writing?" reminded me of our community circle question today: What is your favorite story and why? The responses told so much about the students.
    Thank you for combining so many things I love in one space. And by the way, that is another thing I love, combining things I love.

    ReplyDelete