Recently I had a moment when I felt my identity threatened. The tough and unexpected incident created turmoil inside me. My OLW "Dare" came to rescue. I didn't run and hide, though I wanted to. I faced my fears and had a challenging conversation, and for now, at least, I think, the other person listened and understood me.
My students are going through the different things they created during the first weeks of school. I have been writing alongside with them. Several pieces of writing and art are connected to identity. As my students explain, identity is who you think you are, and even if others think differently, you know yourself best. Since GDPR has built high walls, thick doors and heavy locks to hassle with before sharing student work, I'll share my writing with you today.
These I am
Moment catcher
Calmness breather
Tea drinker
Sandbox baker
Step collector
Page turner
Slice writer
Question asker
Deep listener
Idea generator
Thought seeker
Growth nudger
Daring Dreamer
On the other side of the door*
I wish to be
I wish to be a magician,
imagining the impossible into reality,
feeding the flames of learning,
brewing a potion of power,
using the spell of smiles,
to sharpen the minds,
to cascade creativity,
to expand hearts,
fulfilling hopes,
sparking joy,
building a better world
together.
*inspired by a title of a poem
Terje, well-done! Writing alongside your student allows them to see you as a lifelong writer interested in honing your craft. These lines stand out to me: I wish to be a magician,/imagining the impossible into reality. If all teachers had a magic wand, I wonder if they would say what you just said. Teachers as magicians are ready to work miracles with every child. Thank you for doing so. It is evident in your writing.
ReplyDeleteThe nice thing about knowing what is on the other side of the door is that if you can see it you can reach it. I would even say that you already are there.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful poem! And I think that this is something just magical when we write alongside other writers! I agree with Carol... you are a magician!
ReplyDeleteLove this writing. These I Am is a format I might like to try. So glad you're here catching moments (and writing) to share with us.
ReplyDelete