Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

slice of life

"Say your name and what you did today" is a simple and reasonable introduction for a second round of a writing course with some new members in it.*

"My name is Terje. I had meetings all day, and I came from a dentist, my left cheek is completely numb and I can't smile no matter how hard I try," was probably not the best first impression. I should have added that I might have had a concussion from the hammering the dentist did inside my mouth, making me feel as if my scull would shatter to thousand pieces, making me ready to spill all the undercover spy secrets if I had any, and making "this is a bit uncomfortable" into a massive understatement. It would have been a sensible thing to go home after the dentist. That would have meant sitting and feeling sorry for myself for the rest of the evening. Being in a lovely bookshop, reading and writing, even with some aftermath of dental procedures, promised a positive end to a rather long day.

We finished the introduction rounds and the teacher was giving out a poem to read, when I heard familiar voices in the gallery passage behind the bookstore windows. I peeked over my shoulder.

My boss and two school visitors from a morning meeting walked by. They did not look in through the window, so they did not see me sitting behind a large square table, with a journal and a poem in front of me, and a slightly awkward look on my face.  Slice of my life.


*Almost a month ago I thought my writing lessons were finished for good.
Since the interest was really high, the teacher decided to have five more lessons with us.

8 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like quite a day. I hope you are feeling better and you enjoyed your writing time today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How impressive that you are in a writing course and you showed up despite your dentist visit and numbed face!

    It sounds like this was quite the day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you will fie more times to write, share and grow. Glad the trip to the dentist didn't keep you from attending the writing workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you went to writing class - you have a great story to tell. Sorry the dentist was not fun and a numbed face is always hard but writing and being with people is better that sitting at home. Hope you feel better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terje, I know how painful those dental visits can be but you the ever-present, lifelong learner are there, learning and making us laugh with your descriptions. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU might be uncomfortable, yet you still write and impress us all with your determination. Love hearing about the writing class!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could sense the unwelcome intrusion of your personal time by the folks from school; I'm glad they didn't notice you, and you had this writing session to work out the frustrations of the day.

    ReplyDelete