Old is a relative term. My dad who is 85 finds me to be very young. My teenager believes I am ancient, born last century, too old to understand anything. I am older than my sister and younger than my husband. In the dance sport world thirty-five is considered a senior.
I am not scared of my new age. Thirty was depressing for me. I cried for the lost youth. Forty was nothing. First child becoming an adult was stepping over a red getting older line. A doctor recommending reading glasses as age-related difficulties sounded like an offence to me. Getting a tooth pulled out recently was like reaching a point of no return. I have some wrinkles. No grey hair. I am more flexible than my three daughters. And I can dance: cha-cha, foxtrot, quickstep, samba, rhumba, tango, and waltz. Dancing makes me feel young. I ice-skate at least once a year and moving on ice makes me feel as giddy as a child. So does swinging and swimming.
When I woke up this morning I did not feel much different than last night. It's Wednesday. I have had my first cup of tea today. I had a boiled egg and oatmeal porridge with some black current jam for breakfast. My hubby drove me to town. The air is crisp. The sun shines brightly and friendly. My students went to French and I have the moment to post this slice, most of which I wrote before coming to school. I have received many hugs. I am healthy and in a good mood. I appreciate all the wonderful people I have in my life, a job that I love, the opportunities to learn, and the "my time" that has increased now that my kids have grown.
It's going to be a good day, and a wonderful year.
![]() |
| Four cups - a gift from my sister. |

Happy birthday! I love the reflection that it's going to be a great year because you have so much in your life that makes you happy-- that's how I've been good with getting older too.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! It sounds like you have many blessings.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! Great reflection on life. I love the perspectives of your dad and son contrasted.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! From the sound of this post, you are young at heart, and will remain so because you know what brings you joy and you practice it. Fabulous!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! What a wonderful reflection on another day - that is indeed special! May you have a memorable 47th year.
ReplyDeleteFirst Happy Birthday! You share a birthday with my husband (which was my writing topic today!) I loved reading all the people you listed at the beginning and their perspective of your age. Then I loved how you ended this piece. Such a long list showing that you are ready to embrace this year. Enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! What a great perspective on life. I hope it's a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Terje! What a lovely perspective and honest reflections on getting older. Hope you have a great day!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! Happy day! Happy year!
ReplyDeleteYou BET!!!! I love the way you examine the coming of birthdays...
ReplyDeleteNow I'm heading to 70... and to prepare... I taking charge of the aging process... setting new challenges...
Hopefully I'll be partying in Texas with Mexicans... :)
Happy Birthday. I believe that we are only as old as we let ourselves be. Maybe we can't do things we once did. Maybe we move at a slower pace. But oh what we have seen and experienced. Enjoy your special day!
ReplyDeletePalju õnne sünnipäevaks!! I am totally impressed with all the dances that you know! Moving is what keeps us young. Enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday! I loved reading this thoughtful reflection! And it sounds like so many things keep you young, especially the impressive dancing!
ReplyDeleteI love the cups from your sister. Happy birthday, dear friend! Here's to a day filled with delight, and a little chocolate too!
ReplyDeleteYou’ve a great attitude. Your activities keep you young. Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! And no grey hair! I'm so jealous! Hope you had a wonderful day!!
ReplyDeleteHappiest birthday and best wishes. Enjoy your next trip around the sun!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday. Sounds like a wonderful day. Your positive attitude will insure this will be a good year - with many more to come!
ReplyDeleteApparently I did not comment on this slice like I wanted to! As a 47, almost 48 year old, I have been going gray for almost 15 years now. I cannot go outside for extended periods of time without a hat. I'm not flexible, at all! I love playing basketball, biking, and splashing in the water. In my own mind, I'm 18, and that's where I choose to stay! :) .I hope your birthday was a smashingly awesome one for you. It's all about attitude, and I love yours! :)
ReplyDelete