Sitting on a passenger seat, reading a book on a two-hour trip from home to Tartu, safe from the cold rain, heading to watch my oldest daughter compete at Estonian championship in ten dances, a thought hit me brutally. It would be absolutely insane to participate in March SOLSC writing challenge. I closed the book, lifted my glasses on top of my head, and took out my iPad to write down the revelation.
The understanding that writing every single day during a busy month of March would be crazy arrived when I was reading Neil Gaiman’s ‘View from the Cheap Seats.” On page 255 he spoke about trusting one’s obsessions. I wouldn’t say that SOLSC is an obsession, but it certainly has me hooked. Writing in March is my choice. I like this slightly insane side of me in my otherwise sensible, responsible, ordinary life. It’s a bit of spark, a diversion from the everyday, an escape to an alternative world.
I am in denial. It’s clearly an obsession. This is my ninth time to participate.
Years ago I started out trembling with fear, worrying what other’s might think about me, hiding my identity. I have learned that this writing is about me being me, figuring out who I am, and sometimes creating myself in new ways. I have learned to take slicing as a playful adventure, being on a writing journey, exploring the varied landscapes of texts, weaving words together, arranging and rearranging sentences, discovering what I can do. I have learned to dare, and above all to trust myself and the writing process.
I kept opening the book, reading a bit and then reaching for iPad again because my thoughts intervened. This is the hope in my slicing too, that as I write my text and sort out my life and thoughts, the readers, when reading my words, get a nudge to think about their life, emotions, understanding and rearrange their ideas in a new format.
Years ago I started out trembling with fear, worrying what other’s might think about me, hiding my identity. I have learned that this writing is about me being me, figuring out who I am, and sometimes creating myself in new ways. I have learned to take slicing as a playful adventure, being on a writing journey, exploring the varied landscapes of texts, weaving words together, arranging and rearranging sentences, discovering what I can do. I have learned to dare, and above all to trust myself and the writing process.
I kept opening the book, reading a bit and then reaching for iPad again because my thoughts intervened. This is the hope in my slicing too, that as I write my text and sort out my life and thoughts, the readers, when reading my words, get a nudge to think about their life, emotions, understanding and rearrange their ideas in a new format.
Sometimes my thoughts and words take me nowhere and this is ok. Perhaps later, much later, the thoughts and words reappear in a different form and start making sense. Sometimes the words start a game of their own and outplay me, leaving me at loss and confusion. Being a good loser, I smile and congratulate the words for having the wit and spirit. This is what I recommend the beginner writers to aim for too, for the play, for the fun, for the juggling and acrobatics. You can do it. Small and short at first, totally tumbling and falling at times, and then, with some practice, performing longer and more eloquently.
Another piece of advice for the people starting out I’d like to share is advice my husband gave to me as I was learning to drive. I once said that I was worried what the other drivers thought, and he said, “Don’t spend the energy on thinking about other drivers, focus on your own driving.” The same truth applies for writing here, think what others may, focus on your writing. What you’ll discover is that the people in this community are super supportive and often shed light on your writing and you in ways you never knew or noticed yourself.
As insane as the prospect of writing in March may seem, I’m still in. Not insane. Or maybe a little insane.
This made me smile. Last week I looked at my calendar for March and thought that there is no way I can do the challenge this year. Thee are too many days that are filled from waking to sleeping. As a result I signed up anyway. I know I am a bit insane. This will only be my sixth year of participating.
ReplyDeleteToday was my second ever slice, and I just signed up for the March challenge for the first time. Thank you for the wisdom! Your fourth paragraph is definitely a lot of what I've been feeling lately. It's nice to see some perspective from the other side!
ReplyDeleteInsane obsession-maybe but isn't fun to keep dipping our toes into the water? I am glad that you voiced this thought=>"I have learned to take slicing as a playful adventure." Let's slice away, Terje, and fun doing so.
ReplyDeleteSo much wisdom crafted into this slice! I smiled when I read "reading a bit and then reaching for iPad again because my thoughts intervened." This is what happens to me when I read slices by other bloggers. I spend way more time reading and commenting and even taking notes on others' slices than I do composing my own slices. Combine all that reading and writing and our own writing grows in so many ways. That's why I love TWT's #SOL challenges.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing this! My favorite line is " Being a good loser, I smile and congratulate the words for having the wit and spirit." So creative, and I like your sense of humor! I am a new slicer and agreeably terrified of writing a slice every day for the whole month. But I think that's the twisted reason I'm drawn to this. I know nothing about writing. But I find it so interesting. And after all, it IS a challenge, right!? Excited to read your slices!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post. There is so much encouragement there for me. This will be my third time participating. We are all very busy but have to make the time to write. I find reading other posts have helped me as a writer or teacher. I am encouraging my friends to join us . Let's do it!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post today! I think that this is kind of an obsession, but it can be fun and helps us hone our writing skills, right?
ReplyDeleteI love this line, "This is the hope in my slicing too, that as I write my text and sort out my life and thoughts, the readers, when reading my words, get a nudge to think about their life, emotions, understanding and rearrange their ideas in a new format."
This is more my speed. Just. Do. It. I was reading Christi Wyman's post full of organizational advice for the SOLC. While being organized is something I aspire to, with writing, I'm much better off just driving. I love the advice to focus on your own writing. Don't worry about what others think. The older I get, the better I am at this philosophy.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Terje! I had my fingers crossed your Slice would end the way it eventually did. You're in!
ReplyDeleteYes, I think obsession is more my feelings. I haven't been very regular with my writing, so I am hoping that I March gets me back in my groove. I'm glad to be back and also glad you are along for the ride!
ReplyDeleteThis paragraph is what I wish I'd said: Years ago I started out trembling with fear, worrying what other’s might think about me, hiding my identity. I have learned that this writing is about me being me, figuring out who I am, and sometimes creating myself in new ways. I have learned to take slicing as a playful adventure, being on a writing journey, exploring the varied landscapes of texts, weaving words together, arranging and rearranging sentences, discovering what I can do. I have learned to dare, and above all to trust myself and the writing process.
ReplyDeleteI'm in for the lovely insanity of it all.
At first, you had me saying, "No...Terje has to participate this year! It wouldn't be the same without reading her words!" as I thought you were going to drop the bomb that you would be sitting out this year. But as I kept reading, I breathed a sigh of relief that you're still in. :) I'm going to share your post with my teachers who are reluctant to join the challenge this year. It's beautifully written, and I hope it persuades some of them to jump in feet first!
ReplyDeleteI am a Capricorn and we love challenges...especially one right after another. We can just keep going until we drop. So, despite the insanity of 31 days of posting I can't walk away from the challenge. This will be my fifth year, and proudly so. It's so rewarding to write along with so many others who are also digging deep for inspiration or laughing at themselves for one thing or another. We're expecting a grandchild soon, so I know what one of my topics will be already!
ReplyDeleteYour advice for other Slicers (not to pay attention to other drivers) is genius! May I share this slice as part of the Be Inspired. Please let me know via email if that would be okay. THANKS!
ReplyDeleteIt is a crazy undertaking. You totally captured the process, the words jumbling, rearranging, having a will of their own. Then you articulate the key to it all, we can’t dwell on what others will think of our writing, we have to just concentrate on our own process. Well said.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first year and I am so glad I read your post. Your post, told me that I am doing the right thing. I, too, am concerned about what others will think. However, yesterday, I began to give myself a bit of grace. It was only day four and I came to the conclusion that my slices are for me. I guess I am moving in the right direction. Thanks so much for your words. They came at the right time for me.
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time participating, and I really appreciate your advice. I liked the line in your piece about writing as an escape to an alternative world. I am trying to write everyday as a practice of letting go of my to-do list mind and trying to connect with a different part of my brain, the part that comes up with crazy ideas and signs up for challenges like this.
ReplyDelete